• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why are you living in the UK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Change NL for DE and 15 for 20 and I agree wholeheartedly with this post
    I’d bet that if contracting goes pear shaped and you have to take a low paid job in a German warehouse or shop, you’ll still have a better quality of life and standard of living than many people earning twice as much in the UK. Houses are affordable in most areas, holidays in Germany are quite reasonably priced, going out for a simple but good quality meal doesn’t cost much and there’s so much space in the countryside. State schools are very good, public transport works well, there isn’t the same rampant consumerism and people just don’t seem to care whether you’re wearing the latest Armani suit or a pair of jeans from the discount store. You won’t be forced by the boss to do silly overtime hours if you don’t want to and nobody will look down on you for choosing to work 9 to 5.

Don’t get me wrong; I still like parts of the UK and some aspects of life in England; I just don’t like what I see has happened to the place.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
      If I lived up north and had a couple of kids I think I'd be straight down the dole - it's a sensible financial decision, due to high level of benefits and the ironically high level of regressive taxation introduced by Labour.
      what on earth are you on about?

I live up north and do very well thank you.

Stick your southern generalising up your ar*e

Comment

Couldn't resist showing you this. The scene near my house this morning.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Uk

I see a number of posts saying UK is a failed state and its end of the nation and its doomed and all and just generally not saying anything good or positive in general - in fact any chance to slate it and its happy days.

So question - Why dont these people go to another country than?
          you are assuming too much. Not all posters here are living in Uk, and for good reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
            that will always be the case though. Essex, Basingstoke, Newcastle, and numerous others. Maybe we just get rid of these areas?
            I've been in Newcastle for 10 years, been made redundant twice, never drawn a penny of dole, don't have or want SKY, and have no bling!

While there is unemployment in the region (decimation of all the heavy industries in the region in the 70's and 80's), it's still a lovely place to be. Great quality of life, the North Easterners have a realistic attitude when it comes to work/life balance.

It's a great place to live.

Did two years in the South and that wasn't for me!

Before you give up on the Country, try to get your head around the fact it's a big place with so many culturally diverse regions. It's not all like the Daily Mail portrays. It's not perfect, but then where is.
            'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
              Before you give up on the Country, try to get your head around the fact it's a big place with so many culturally diverse regions. It's not all like the Daily Mail portrays. It's not perfect, but then where is.
              WHS - with bells on
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                earning twice as much in the UK.
                Yes that's right son, money's not everything, but double is fk of a lot!

Houses are affordable in most areas,
                Houses are rather pricey in areas with high employment. Uk will be a real estate bargain in years to come.

holidays in Germany are quite reasonably priced,
                Can't comment on that one.

going out for a simple but good quality meal doesn’t cost much
                Yes it does! relative to income, eating out isn't cheap, ok relative to income in UK it's better value but its far from cheap here.

and there’s so much space in the countryside.
                Agreed....it's nice

State schools are very good,
                Can't comment

public transport works well,
                Agreed, or at least in Munich it's good

there isn’t the same rampant consumerism
                Sweeping statement that means little

and people just don’t seem to care whether you’re wearing the latest Armani suit or a pair of jeans from the discount store.
                In some areas, such as Munich, I'd say it's the opposite actually and clothes here are flipping pricey.

You won’t be forced by the boss to do silly overtime hours if you don’t want to and nobody will look down on you for choosing to work 9 to 5.
                Agreed to a large extent - don't forget 30 days holiday is far from unusual plus I think an average of 12 public in Bavaria
                I think you need to get out of cloud cuckoo land re prices here. Yes some things are a bit better value, some aren't. It's no bargain I promise you.

Comment

The question is "where else to go?"

It must be English speaking, because obviously I have no intention of "going native".

It can't be Canada because that is too cold.

I can't be America because I would have to befriend an American and that is beyond the pale.

It can't be Australia because it's full of oafs descended from criminals.

It can't be New Zealand because I quite like the 21st Century.

So it looks like it will have to be good, old blighty.
                  When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Here's a nice chap who makes you proud to be in England...
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

that is why everyone needs to be sterilised at birth and needs to pass a test before having kids. Its part of the new world order.

Comment

Working...
                      X