• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why are you living in the UK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Liability View Post
    I see a number of posts saying UK is a failed state and its end of the nation and its doomed and all and just generally not saying anything good or positive in general - in fact any chance to slate it and its happy days.

So question - Why dont these people go to another country than? Why are you still here? If you know so much about this economy and the fact its doomed go elsewhere?
    The UK isn't a "failed state". Labour is a useless political party.

In a couple of years they'll be history and we'll be rebuilding the economy from ground zero. Exciting times!

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      The UK isn't a "failed state". Labour is a useless political party.

In a couple of years they'll be history and we'll be rebuilding the economy from ground zero. Exciting times!
      the only issue with this fella is the amount of hardship alot are about to see and the huge surge in suicides in 2009 from money worries. Yet the people who should have stopped this happening will go on to speaking circuits and earn money like it was water pouring from a tap [brown excluded obv]

Comment

take the blighters with you? simple surely?
        Not at all simple, unless you don't care much about your children's education, friendships, culture, mental stability, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          I hope so, I really do, although cue some comment about how Cameron will be exactly the same.

Unfortunately, the country will still be full of chavs and idle layabouts who aspire to a thick gold bracelet and a full sky package. It will take a long time to turn that one around...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
            I hope so, I really do, although cue some comment about how Cameron will be exactly the same.

Unfortunately, the country will still be full of chavs and idle layabouts who aspire to a thick gold bracelet and a full sky package. It will take a long time to turn that one around...
            that will always be the case though. Essex, Basingstoke, Newcastle, and numerous others. Maybe we just get rid of these areas?

Comment

my son is doing his GCSEs.

I keep asking myself the same question

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                Not at all simple, unless you don't care much about your children's education, friendships, culture, mental stability, etc.
                I spent some of my youth in other European countries and eventually did my A levels a year later than others as a result of changing schools a few times. Big deal, one year out of my life in return for seeing other cultures and learning three other languages. Kids can adapt, can learn a language quickly, and can benefit from living in another country. Don’t think it’s a reason to not go and do it.

And don't go thinking that the UK's education system is all that great. Some good universities for sure, but otherwise no better than the rest of Europe.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I've lived in NL for 15 years and I always missed the UK until about a year ago, when I visited a few times and was turned off by the gross materialism, yucky bling bling culture and the chavs. Those last visits really made me see how good life is in NL.
                  Change NL for DE and 15 for 20 and I agree wholeheartedly with this post
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

the only issue with this fella is the amount of hardship alot are about to see and the huge surge in suicides in 2009 from money worries. Yet the people who should have stopped this happening will go on to speaking circuits and earn money like it was water pouring from a tap [brown excluded obv]
                    I know, it's going to be tough for most.

I was out of work in the last recession, with a six figure mortgage which was a lot then. This recession will be worse, so I'm sure I'll cop it again.

I'm just being cheery in the face of your original point, that everyone is miserable. My post was looking beyond the low point to come, to a time when things are starting to look up. This is why, in answer to your original question, I don't plan to go and live abroad.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                      Actually I disagree - I think a re-working of the benfits & taxation system would lead to the majority of these "Chavs" eventually taking up work & contributing to society.
                      If I lived up north and had a couple of kids I think I'd be straight down the dole - it's a sensible financial decision, due to high level of benefits and the ironically high level of regressive taxation introduced by Labour.
                      Bored.

Comment

Working...
                      X