• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pope on target again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    So heterosexuals only get married so they can reproduce?

Is that all there is to marriage?
    No, I believe it to be a celebration of a couples desire to be with each other till death us do part, and that they would normally expect to have children from that union.

Couples who get married because they know one will die, or knowing that for some medical reason they cannot have children are - thankfully - rare, but as a society we go along with the celebration as it is meant to be, hoping that both conditions can at some point be ameliorated, or that adoption will occur, leaving a family with mother, father and children.

I don't think society goes along with a homosexual marriage because there is no possible way for children to be born within the marriage, and no chance of it being corrected leaving a mother and father.
    When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Originally posted by deano View Post
      No, I believe it to be a celebration of a couples desire to be with each other till death us do part, and that they would normally expect to have children from that union.

Couples who get married because they know one will die, or knowing that for some medical reason they cannot have children are - thankfully - rare, but as a society we go along with the celebration as it is meant to be, hoping that both conditions can at some point be ameliorated, or that adoption will occur, leaving a family with mother, father and children.

I don't think society goes along with a homosexual marriage because there is no possible way for children to be born within the marriage, and no chance of it being corrected leaving a mother and father.
      So how about heterosexual couples who get married not wanting children, or knowing that they're unable to have children?

Surely the 'celebration of a couples desire to be with each other till death us do part' isn't exclusive to heterosexual people desiring children?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by coultog View Post
        Funny.

Deano - you seem to make educated points and at other times you seem to lose grip on reality!
        I didn't say the stuff about goats etc. if that's what you mean!

Which bit of reality have I lost grip on now. It's a big list and you need to help me narrow it down.
        When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          So how about heterosexual couples who get married not wanting children, or knowing that they're unable to have children?

Surely the 'celebration of a couples desire to be with each other till death us do part' isn't exclusive to heterosexual people desiring children?
          Precisely, I'm married and we don't want, or intend to have, kids.
          As a genetic cul-de-sac should we be denied the rites and rights of marriage?

Comment

first point first. I've dealt with the part about being unable to hace children. Not wanting children? It's an issue, but how many brides express that wish? And how many actually mean it? I mention brides deliberately to force the issue that motherhood is part of the marital expectation from marriage (where age and ill-health don't preclude it of course) as distinct from what more sexually feral men may feel.

Second point, of course it isn't exclusive, but I don't believe that it foreshadows the concept of a gay "marriage" either. Couples can live with each other and they have the rights that arise form "common law". Why do gay couples demand an equal status with real marriages given that the common law status could easily be applied.

The only difference between homosexual couples and heterosexual couples is that of being able to have children or not. And to me that is a big enough reason to retain marriage's special celebratory status and to not have it diluted down for political expediency.

Comment

The only difference between homosexual couples and heterosexual couples is that of being able to have children or not. And to me that is a big enough reason to retain marriage's special celebratory status and to not have it diluted down for political expediency.
              A civil partnership is not a marriage. Both straight and gay people can have a civil partnership if they chose. It's not solely the domain of gay people.

I think you're arguing a point on the word "marriage" and bringing in too many other points to try and validate your reasoning.

If we talked about civil partnerships and marriage as completely different acts, would you have the same issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
                Precisely, I'm married and we don't want, or intend to have, kids.
                As a genetic cul-de-sac should we be denied the rites and rights of marriage?
                All you can safely say is that is your belief. Your partner may have other ideas either now or in the future and you may even change your mind.

I, however, can safely say that it is not an option in a gay "marriage". Therefore they are worth less, in my eye's, than your marriage. Worth enough less to not have them celebrated as equals.

Therefore you get the rites and rights - thank you for that expression, it sums up the argument nicely - and gay partnerships should only get the rights, not the rites.

Comment

We'll have no sense talked here.

I think in deano world the priest jacks you off into a cup in order to check you're qualified to get married.

Comment

Originally posted by coultog View Post
                    A civil partnership is not a marriage. Both straight and gay people can have a civil partnership if they chose. It's not solely the domain of gay people.
                    I'm sorry to have to correct you, but if you are going to argue this you need the facts...

Civil Partnerships
                    A quick guide to registering a civil partnership

The Civil Partnership Act 2004 came into operation on 5 December 2005 and enables a same-sex couple to register as civil partners of each other.
                    from...
                    http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/civilpartnerships/

Once you understand the detail, then let's get into it.

Comment

from...
                      http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/civilpartnerships/

Once you understand the detail, then let's get into it.
                      Actually - I'm quite clear on the differences. As you're seemingly an expert, perhaps you could enlighted me?

Comment

Working...
                      X