• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just added 2TB NAS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone still backing up to C90 cassettes ?
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Was considering getting a drobo - anybody got one? I'm not sure I'll ever need more than 32TB.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Was considering getting a drobo - anybody got one? I'm not sure I'll ever need more than 32TB.

Not got one with the DroboShare as NAS though, but it's dead easy to use, expand and have running.

One annoying thing is that it will show up as a 2TB drive (or multiple drives) whether there is more or less than 2TB - unless they have updated the firmware recently. So I have 1.25TB free (plus the striping / redundancy) but it shows up as 2TB free when I started it.

That said, for expandable, more reliable backup, I'd recommend one. I just then use xcopy to copy the files over from the hard drive to the drobo.

IIRC someone else here has one - spacecadet, possibly??
        Last edited by TheFaQQer; 15 December 2008, 21:01.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Take a look at FreeNAS. Cheap as chips....
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            I am a pro mate, that's my business uses so much data - each day 5 TB more crawled and analysed: it's the power of SKA
            You must have a seriously massive internet connection to be able to download 5TB a day.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              You must have a seriously massive internet connection to be able to download 5TB a day.
              Either that OR I actually used my brains to devise a solution that worked it around. That was hard to do, economics is a much easier subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                2 x 1TB Buffalo NAS arrived today

Oodles of space!
                I have 4TB disk, 32GB ram and 8 cores on the desktop I use for surfing.

What is sad is that the biggest user of disk space is Boinc.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

It was only a few years ago that I worked out how long until I would have a terabyte of storage at home.

Assuming doubling of capacity every 18 months or so, I should have a petabyte on the home server by 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
                    Assuming doubling of capacity every 18 months or so, I should have a petabyte on the home server by 2017.
                    And it will cost £1 mln... or 100 euros...

Comment

Working...
                    X