• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC TV Licensing for a computer at home ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mind paying if I do watch what I have to pay for (the point is currently moot since I do have a TV licence at home). But I would strongly object to having to pay a TV licence for having a PC that I can connect to the internet, just because the BBC decide to put stuff there thet I could access.

Just as, for example, when I lived in France: they decided that CD Roms were mostly for recording copyrighted music, so they put a 1€ levy on each blank CD Rom, to be paid to the music industry. I started buying them elsewhere, out of principle (the principle being that that wasn't what I used them for, and I had no wish to pay Johnny Hallyday one euro every rime I backed up my holiday snaps).

I believe that in Germany you do need a licence for a PC that can connect to the internet, if you don't already have a TV licence. I believe that the German government at first seriously considered requiring a licence for all PCs anyway, and that by location and ownership: so a contractor would need one licence for his registered office (the TV licence for that place as a home would not cover it ), one for any client office, and one for the hotel in the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post

I believe that in Germany you do need a licence for a PC that can connect to the internet.....
      I thought in Germany you need a licence to get out of bed in the morning.
      Bored.

Comment

Makes you wonder how the licencing people mine their data. I've been in my new place for two years now and only realized last week that I have no license (I used to pay the one for old flat on DD).

I have nice shiney 42" plasma, brough on c-card tied to address. Broadband at address. Sky subscription at address and big dish on roof. Santana sports subscription at address. And not a peep out of em. Detector vans my arse.
        The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
          Makes you wonder how the licencing people mine their data. I've been in my new place for two years now and only realized last week that I have no license (I used to pay the one for old flat on DD).

I have nice shiney 42" plasma, brough on c-card tied to address. Broadband at address. Sky subscription at address and big dish on roof. Santana sports subscription at address. And not a peep out of em. Detector vans my arse.
          Have the band got their own sport channel now?
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

the detector vans did actually have something in them, contrary to the myth. A telly used to produce an Intermediate frequency that was mixed with the signal to produce a lower, common frequency that the telly could handle. The IF told them what channel you were watching, and because your telly became a transmitter it was easy to triangulate it.
            So they did actually work, but no one believed a word of it

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              So, all this content provided by the BBC that one can get "for free" via iPlayer, the web site, et cetera.

I wonder what pays for the creation of that content, and of the infrastructure and applications necessary to deliver it to you?

You don't suppose it could be... no, surely not...

Morons
              If you're reading any BBC websites outside of the UK then adverts are added into the content.

The BBC also has quite a strong commercial arm, selling programmes and DVDs abroad

The license fee is only part of the BBCs revenue
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

The license fee is only part of the BBCs revenue
                Wikipedia reckons it's quite a large bit...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:B...BP_Redvers.png
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Wikipedia reckons it's quite a large bit...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:B...BP_Redvers.png
                  yup - and the BBC spends most of its money making TV programmes for broadcast on British TV

And Jonathon Ross
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                    I thought in Germany you need a licence to get out of bed in the morning.
                    Anything not forbidden is compulsory. It's easier that way to know what to do.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
                      Enforcement officers work for Capita, they have no right of entry.
                      Sue them for trespass!
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X