• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To iPhone or not iPhone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If battery life proves to be a problem, a backup battery might be useful - John Gruber speaks well of the Richard Solo 1800.

Comment

Buy a spare USB charger from ebay for £3 and then you can charge it at your PC in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        "They" said that about all of the following...

Telegraph
        Telephone
        Wireless
        Television
        Personal Computer
        Mobile Phone

The iphone/touch is a compelling platform that won't become ubiquitous as the above on it's own, but I think the class of device will. The new Nokia N97 is a similar platform, as is the G1.
        As was the HTC Wizard that I had a few years ago. The class of device made sense, no argument there. I think the Emperor's New Clothes bit is the hype that the iphone introduced that class. No way: it was late to the party.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          As was the HTC Wizard that I had a few years ago. The class of device made sense, no argument there. I think the Emperor's New Clothes bit is the hype that the iphone introduced that class. No way: it was late to the party.
          Yes, but I'd rather cut my nuts off with a spoon than go back to Win-Mo (5 or 6).
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

What about the Blackberry Storm? Anyone tried one yet?
            Looks ok and think it does everything the iPhone does and they don't charge the earth for one!

Comment

B: Get something else

and why?
              Apple...the same as M$, but with trendier PR.

No thx.
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

As you would expect - I looked at loads of options inc the HTC touch, Storm, G1, before going with the iPhone. Never, ever again will I go win-mo, the Storm is utterly pants, seriously. The G1 has great software packaged in hardware that looks & feels like a GCSE CDT project.

So the iPhone it was. Sure, it's not perfect - my biggest gripes are: No SD/MSD slot, no MMS, no txt forwarding, no flash player (but it's in dev), no cut&paste (rumours abound that Apple will sort this) the 1 day battery life (tip: switch off wifi and 3G when you're not using it) and the camera (adequate only).

None of the above are showstoppers for me - new apps appear seemingly in their hundreds each week, with each software update things get a little smoother and extra features appear - there's a groundswell of petitioning for the missing features anyway - and the product design & quality feel is way above and beyond the competition.

No brainer. Agree in hindsight I should have gone for the 16GB as mentioned above. That is all.
                Last edited by realityhack; 3 December 2008, 23:54.

Comment

Originally posted by weegordy View Post
                  it doesnt allow you to open any attachments sent with emails etc.
                  Yes it does - scroll to the bottom of the email and select the attachment - it supports a wide range of the usual file extensions inc .docx etc.

Comment

As far as surfing goes, there is no phone of the market that comes close to the iphone.

Best to hold your wallet and wait till probably end of Jan just incase Apple will be making/announcing some changes to the iphone3g (e.g mms, bigger memory, better camera).

css_jay99

Comment

i've got a 2g and had it since feb. i hate it. i hate the keyboard, lack of MMS, lack of battery life, the lack of compatibility to my stereo head unit that was 1mth old than the phone (the iphone isnt compatible, but ipod is).

Saying that, i rarely use my laptop to use the net at home and the apps are good!

ups and down all round.
                      I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Working...
                      X