• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Women and Thermostats

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    I disagree Sir. As you know (), the air get's its temperature from blowing across the heat exchanger (radiator). This is designed to transfer heat from the hot coolant that flows through it to the air blown through it by the fan. Now, if you are blowing freezing cold air over freezing cold coolant, the logic is not hard to see that it's going to take you longer to heat that freezing cold coolant.

I'm not the man carrying eggs to work in my pocket.
    you make an elementary mistake. Your argument assumes that the ambient temperature is cooler than the coolant. This can not be true because at 6 am the sun is coming up and its getting warmer. The coolant takes longer to heat up because its got more thermodynaic inertia.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I must be unlucky - you are all talking about thermostats that go upto 25 - mine goes upto 30 degrees!

Maybe I am not so unlucky - I've never caught her turning it up that high!
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

oh and another thing - they think that if the radiator is cold the heating must have been turned off.

Seems like to keep the wife happy you need:
        a) one of those digital thermostats where you can set the temperature according to the time of day or night
        b) an outdoor sensor to boost the heating level when it suddenly gets colder outside
        c) a different heating circuit in every room
        d) a controller / boiler that keeps the water flowing though at a lower temperature to stop the radiator going cold - along with a super long lasting pump!
        e) a button on the thermostat for the wife: "Wife is feeling cold again"

Actually I know a b and c is possible though c is costly and probably better with hot water underfloor heating. d is partly used by modern boilers anyway, as the return temperature flow raises the boiler output is turned down so you get a more constant flow for slightly longer before the thermostat detects the set temperature has been reached. as for e - well...

Speaking of underfloor heating - we had electric in the bathroom in another house. Wife now wants full house electric underfloor heating in one that we have moved to - doesn't understand the fundamental fact that electricity is nearly 5 times the cost of gas per kW!
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Mrs PB turns/presses all car and home heating controls in an almost totally random way like most women I know. She does have the good grace to admit it. One previous gf used to complain her car was very hard tto demist. I noticed she kept switching to recirculated air - I asked her why and she admitted she had no idea what that setting did.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            oh and another thing - they think that if the radiator is cold the heating must have been turned off.

a) one of those digital thermostats where you can set the temperature according to the time of day or night
            b) an outdoor sensor to boost the heating level when it suddenly gets colder outside
            c) a different heating circuit in every room
            d) a controller / boiler that keeps the water flowing though at a lower temperature to stop the radiator going cold - along with a super long lasting pump!
            e) a button on the thermostat for the wife: "Wife is feeling cold again"

Actually I know a b and c is possible though c is costly and probably better with hot water underfloor heating. d is partly used by modern boilers anyway, as the return temperature flow raises the boiler output is turned down so you get a more constant flow for slightly longer before the thermostat detects the set temperature has been reached. as for e - well...

Speaking of underfloor heating - we had electric in the bathroom in another house. Wife now wants full house electric underfloor heating in one that we have moved to - doesn't understand the fundamental fact that electricity is nearly 5 times the cost of gas per kW!
            Does a-e really make a woman happy? And how can you tell anyway - they seem to find something to moan about whether happy or not.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post

Just bought a) and am investigating b)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                you make an elementary mistake. Your argument assumes that the ambient temperature is cooler than the coolant. This can not be true because at 6 am the sun is coming up and its getting warmer. The coolant takes longer to heat up because its got more thermodynaic inertia.

You've never been to Scotland in the Winter have you.
                "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Hum....you need a option to ' Put a Jumper on if you are cold'

'tis what hubby always tells me anyway!
                  Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                    You've never been to Scotland in the Winter have you.
                    lol

worse than that. 3 years on st kilda

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                      lol

worse than that. 3 years on st kilda

You're not an ex RAF man by any chance are you?
                      "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
                      X