• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fatal Nu Liebour mistake - not joining euro while economy was booming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Please explain to us rednecks and lesser mortals just why it would be so good for the UK to join the Euro.
    It wouldn't, partly for some of the reaons you were frothing about earlier. Whats more, Britain should leave the EU as it will never get what it needs from the organisation - its way too late for that. Basically the British passive-aggrssive stance has screwed us.

On one hand we try and keep our distance to maintain sovereignty, avoid being dictated to by the French/germans etc. The last semi-detached decade is has being very damaging for British influence despite the end of the frenchist dominance - we simply don't take what we want and push our interests enough.

On the other hand we play by the rules and apply what we sign up to.

So, we don't take what we want and we do what we sign up to - this puts us in a minority of 1 and I can't see how it could change.

Leaving would be massively awkward for me as I live in belgoland as an eu citizen but I really can't see how it will ever work out for Britain.
    Last edited by Rantor; 28 November 2008, 13:20.

Comment

Britain's long history of maybe/maybe not has crippled our chance of belonging in the EU, unfortunately. Mainly because we insisted on staying outside during the period when it was being decided what kind of club it would be, and how the rules would be written. So, for example, there are subsidies for agriculture; but OTOH fisheries are shared out. It's a farmers' club. We're fishermen.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor View Post
        Leaving would be massively awkward for me as I live in belgoland as an eu citizen
        I think not: it would just mean more paperwork. Skilled workers of whom there is a shortage have always been able to work in other countries.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          ...aha I'm the only British person doing business in Europe.

didn't realise.

If you are British then why do you need a work permit to work in the UK.
          You may sneer (rightly) at some of the cliches of the antis, but you have not yet put any coherent argument as to why the UK should join the Euro.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

To be honest I don't think it makes much difference whether or not the UK joins the Euro or doesn't, other than it would make my personal circumstances easier, and also I think there is a delusion that everything would be different if the UK left the EU. What would actually happen is that the UK would end up like Switzerland, effectively adopting most of the regulation but with no say. In the end it probably wouldn't make much difference either way.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

To be honest I don't think it makes much difference whether or not the UK joins the Euro or doesn't, other than it would make my personal circumstances easier, and also I think there is a delusion that everything would be different if the UK left the EU. What would actually happen is that the UK would end up like Switzerland, effectively adopting most of the regulation but with no say. In the end it probably wouldn't make much difference either way.

Well there's a hard fast argument if ever I heard one
              Last edited by DodgyAgent; 28 November 2008, 13:27.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                Britain's long history of maybe/maybe not has crippled our chance of belonging in the EU, unfortunately. Mainly because we insisted on staying outside during the period when it was being decided what kind of club it would be, and how the rules would be written. So, for example, there are subsidies for agriculture; but OTOH fisheries are shared out. It's a farmers' club. We're fishermen.
                Apart from the fact that the UKs farming is amongst the most efficient in Europe what exactly would be the difference apart from convenience of not having to change money (a big advantage I admit) of the UK joining the Euro?

Comment

Yes the UK is fishing nation

The fishing industry currently employs 2000 people. There is no fish in the North sea, and if the UK was outside the EU it could only forbid EU boats coming inside the 12 mile limit.

So are we expected to believe that this tiny scrap of sea would be full of fish had we not been in the EU?. Why UK fisihing boats need to go to Iceland in the 70's ?
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yes the UK is fishing nation

The fishing industry currently employs 2000 people. There is no fish in the North sea
                    I saw one once. Although it might have been carp.

[I don't know anything about the EU, so I'll just make carp jokes]

Comment

oh my "cod", what a pun.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X