• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tory MP arrested

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

I think the problem is that he is a Tory by virtue of his lifestyle, yet he feels guilty about it. Instead of redistributing his vast wealth to more deserving chavvy types, he keeps his conscience clear by calling the Tories "vermin"

Such insight! Never voted tory in my life, never intend to.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

This really isn't a party political issue at all - the government of the day seems to like to throw it's weight around if civil servants are leaking stuff that's an embarrassment to them. Like all top brass they seem to prefer to have a witch hunt than stop doing crap things.

This was just as true in the 80s when they went after Clive Ponting and Sarah Tidsall as it is now - the slight detail difference being that Tam Dayell would have been arrested, but it's basically the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        What law is it exactly that they think they are above?
        The Official Secrets Act?

Criminal Justice Act?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
          Nick I think you are missing the point as to why this is so significant.

A leak of political "sensitive" information is by no means and act of terrorism, no more so then white collor fraud.

The problem here is the blanket use of terror laws and even more so the incorrect application of terror law, which appears to be for political gain.

The misuse of the judical system is a characteristic of immature, unstable political systems and dictatorships.

The man is not a terrorist so why have the terror laws been used to detain him?
          That is exaclty the most important point. Let them have the "anti-terrorism" laws they want, and they will not limit themselves to using them to keep us all safe from Al Qaeda. They will use these laws to keep themselves safe, from us if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Criminal Justice Act?
            Neither of those. The information wasn't official secrets, and the Criminal Justice Act is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Criminal Justice Act?
              Maybe, plus the following provisions under the Official Secrets Act: Blabbing, grassing, snitching, spilling the beans, informing and squealing.

Comment

I don't think anyone has mentioned the name of the beast so far, but can it be coincidence that someone famous for sleaze, dishonesty, and shafting up the back, is back in government....?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  I don't think anyone has mentioned the name of the beast so far, but can it be coincidence that someone famous for sleaze, dishonesty, and shafting up the back, is back in government....?
                  A good point, well made.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    Neither of those. The information wasn't official secrets, and the Criminal Justice Act is irrelevant.
                    Sky News says he was arrested under the Official Secrets Act.

I thought the Criminal Justice Act introduced the charges of "conspiring to commit misconduct in a public office" and "aiding and abetting misconduct in public office", but I may be mistaken.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post

If you must know, I do think it is surprising that you haven't been banned, but hey ho.
                      Luckily you dont get a vote! But it does show why you and your buddies strut around here like you run the place. Bullies.

Comment

Working...
                      X