• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

100w light bulbs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Yes, and people have looked at that, but to buy it we would need to produce stuff that the rest of the world wants. I think we should try to be more self-sufficient on energy. We are a bit stuffed on that front, though fairly well endowed with wind.
    Maybe we should convert all of those unused coal mines to ground source heat pumps.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      We should import sunlight from the Sahara.

It might be easier to import electricity generated from sunlight in the Sahara but we didn't put the Great in Great Britain by doing things the easy way...
      Brilliant idea for a massively over-ambitious, but exciting bit of fiscal profigacy. Huge mirrors in the sahara refelcting sunlight to an array of satellites orbiting above Britain which can be adjusted to refocus the light on a generator or jsut provide a bit more sunshine on cold autumn days. Cost; about as much as rescuing a bank. Benefit; loads of work for IT people and engineers and it'll show the world what British technology can achieve!

It probably isn't as difficult as it sounds; if Brylcreeemed British chaps could make Concorde, Radar, the bouncing bomb and Colossus using big pieces of paper, rulers, slide rules, tweed jackets and pipes hanging from the corners of their mouths, gathering around a nice pot of tea in a big shed, then we can do this!
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Yes, and people have looked at that, but to buy it we would need to produce stuff that the rest of the world wants. I think we should try to be more self-sufficient on energy. We are a bit stuffed on that front, though fairly well endowed with wind.
        Why else would the Scottish Government push successfuly for devolved powers over planning out to 200 miles?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          Why else would the Scottish Government push successfuly for devolved powers over planning out to 200 miles?
          So that they can at long last afford to buy a round of drinks?
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Maybe we should convert all of those unused coal mines to ground source heat pumps.
            Certainly seems worth looking at, though hydrothermal in the UK isn't really a goer.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              I think Scotland could do well separated from the UK, on the energy front.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Because 500+ MPs switching off totally won't save the environment - hundreds of millions of people need to change their habits for that to happen.
                6 billion. Oh wait, its nearly 7 billion now.

Lets be really clear about this... the environment is FUBAR. A few energy-saving lightbulbs and some recycling isn't going to slow the planet-wrecking juggernaut that is the human species from killing off nearly every living thing on the earth in the process of making it uninhabitable.

There.Are.Too.Many.People.

Eventually something will happen - possibly natural, probably man-made, that will redress the imbalance and the human race will go the way of the other 99.9% of all species that have ever existed on this planet.

And in a few million years there may well be another self-aware species on the planet again. Its been here for over 4 billion years, and we've been here for like 200,000, if that. If the history of the Earth was condensed down to our lifespan then we are just a bad outbreak of lice the planet suffered for a few hours. No matter what we do to it, the planet will recover in time.

So go ahead do your 'bit' for the environment, it'll make you feel better. And hey, we'll probably be dead before it all goes to custard - thats a nice little timebomb we're leaving to the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
                  There.Are.Too.Many.People.
                  Exactly how many people have your detailed calculations revealed the planet can support then?

I'm a bit worried, this is the first thread I ever read where AtW doesn't sound like an escaped lunatic.

I'm all for low-energy lights, as long as they are not the ones which take 5min to 'warm up'. I think this is where the difference is between cheap & expensive ones?
                  LEDs could be pretty cool if the technology properly matures, I imagine they last practically forever even compared with standard low-energy bulbs.

And by the way, LED car headlights use less power and also should not need replacing hardly at all, which I like because they never seem as easy to replace as they should be in any car I've tried. I think they also cast less glare to the side than normal lights although that could be more about the assembly they are fitted into.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Good idea, set fire to them!
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

And by the way, LED car headlights use less power and also should not need replacing hardly at all, which I like because they never seem as easy to replace as they should be in any car I've tried. I think they also cast less glare to the side than normal lights although that could be more about the assembly they are fitted into.
                      Power isn't an issue with an alternator and LED's aren't powerful enough for the main beam, they'd look more at home on a modified saxo if you ask me.

I wonder if you can get different colours and make them flash in pretty patterns like my Christmas tree lights?
                      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X