• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you enjoy the festive season?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Xmas but I do think there's an over emphasis on the Christian part of it given the multi-cultural make up of our society and the fact that practising Christians are now a minority.

That's why I agree with renaming it 'Winter Festival' or similar and then all faiths, or lack off, can celebrate the time any way they wish.

However, adverts on the TV for kids toys should go the same way as tobacco advertising.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
      I like Xmas but I do think there's an over emphasis on the Christian part of it given the multi-cultural make up of our society and the fact that practising Christians are now a minority.

That's why I agree with renaming it 'Winter Festival' or similar and then all faiths, or lack off, can celebrate the time any way they wish.

However, adverts on the TV for kids toys should go the same way as tobacco advertising.
      Winter festival!! What about all the people in the southern hemisphere who have Christmas in the summer???

Comment

Love it, daughter loves it, husband loves it - even the Guinea pigs seem to enjoy it.
        Love singing the carols, Christmas day Mass, spending hours cooking a meal it takes 20 mins to eat.
        Watching DD open her pressies, watching the Dr Who special, drinking things I never drink the rest of the year, seeing the rest of my family.
        Panto, over-dressing the tree and just enjoying that another year is over and we're all here together again.

I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

as long as I can avoid going home to Ireland I love it
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post

Are you a member for any ward in Brent?

Comment

Decorations went up in Glasgow on the 4th of November, we now spend nearly 20% of our lives celebrating Christmas.

I'm all up for spending 2 weeks drinking and being merry but if you are going to force me to do it for 2 months well, I suppose, I am OK with that.

Comment

Xmas sucks unless you've got small kids around. I honestly think I'd rather be working...
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  as long as I can avoid going home to Ireland I love it
                  It's like penence isn't it

I don't mind going home and being there for an hour or two (just to make sure the parents are ok!) after that I'd be quite happy to come back to Manchester
                  Last edited by cailin maith; 25 November 2008, 18:40.
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

Comment

If all you can find to say about xmas is "there's too much emphasis on material things" then you're not doing it right!

Yes - there IS too much emphasis on material things
                    And yes it is a right Christian snoozefest at times
                    But......
                    1) freezing cold nights, snuggled in the house with your loved ones drinking mulled wine or mulled cider or Horlicks, wearing jumpers and thick socks, in the dark, watching fairy lights twinkle away.....
                    2) buying prezzies for everyone you love and wrapping them up - ah man that gets me every year, seeing them all there ready to be opened!!
                    3) Buying the tree - I'm always left disappointed, but every year I am just as stupidly excited!
                    4) Xmas dinner itself - one of the best meals of the year. Only made better by wearing the stupid hat I've bought musical crackers this year to torture everyone - each cracker has a bell in it, and we have song sheets to follow
                    5) Boxing day FootyPubDay - it's the calm after the storm. Everyone is just genuinely happy for once, and I always get a kick out of seeing everyone in the pub in their new jumpers
                    6) Then there's the xmas do's...some hate them, I LOVE them!! When I was younger I used to snog everyone, now that I'm older I just love watching the young'uns get all excited over the same thing

It's humanity man!! Every single real thing about Xmas is the people, their emotions, their behaviour...excitement, happiness, comfort, joy.

The fact that it's a big corperate rip off or a big cheese fest - well that's just secondary.
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                      If all you can find to say about xmas is "there's too much emphasis on material things" then you're not doing it right!

Yes - there IS too much emphasis on material things
                      And yes it is a right Christian snoozefest at times
                      But......
                      1) freezing cold nights, snuggled in the house with your loved ones drinking mulled wine or mulled cider or Horlicks, wearing jumpers and thick socks, in the dark, watching fairy lights twinkle away.....
                      2) buying prezzies for everyone you love and wrapping them up - ah man that gets me every year, seeing them all there ready to be opened!!
                      3) Buying the tree - I'm always left disappointed, but every year I am just as stupidly excited!
                      4) Xmas dinner itself - one of the best meals of the year. Only made better by wearing the stupid hat I've bought musical crackers this year to torture everyone - each cracker has a bell in it, and we have song sheets to follow
                      5) Boxing day FootyPubDay - it's the calm after the storm. Everyone is just genuinely happy for once, and I always get a kick out of seeing everyone in the pub in their new jumpers
                      6) Then there's the xmas do's...some hate them, I LOVE them!! When I was younger I used to snog everyone, now that I'm older I just love watching the young'uns get all excited over the same thing

It's humanity man!! Every single real thing about Xmas is the people, their emotions, their behaviour...excitement, happiness, comfort, joy.

The fact that it's a big corperate rip off or a big cheese fest - well that's just secondary.
                      Feck Sal..... reading that nearly made me cry! I must be hormonal
                      Bazza gets caught
                      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

Comment

Working...
                      X