• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you enjoy the festive season?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    I like Xmas but I do think there's an over emphasis on the Christian part of it given the multi-cultural make up of our society and the fact that practising Christians are now a minority.

That's why I agree with renaming it 'Winter Festival' or similar and then all faiths, or lack off, can celebrate the time any way they wish.

However, adverts on the TV for kids toys should go the same way as tobacco advertising.
    You can call it whatever the f you like. I'm going to call it Christmas.

Are you going to rename Eid "After periodic fasting festival"?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I'd prefer if Xmas and Christmas could be 2 separate dates. Xmas for all the food and presents and "it's all about spending time together" and other secular stuff, and Christmas as a proper religious day for those who really care.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

As I umderstand it, the Christian festival only hijacked one or more existing ones.

Comment

One day of it's fine. It's the dragging on aspect that really annoys me, especially when you're forced to take 2 weeks off work at the coldest darkest time of year. Having said that, it can be a blessing to be forced to take a break.
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            As I umderstand it, the Christian festival only hijacked one or more existing ones.
            Lord Jesus, for Christmas please give this man the ability to speak the language of English.

Comment

And?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                And?
                And... its not actually his birthday either. Best scholarly estimates put that at somewhere around March (Jesus was a pisces - thats why Xtians use the fish logo).

I've been trying to activate leap-Xmas with my family :- rather than making a big effort every year why not just have something low-key with whoever is around at the time, but once every 4 years we all make a yuge (yule-time version of huuuuge) effort to get together and go large.

Its just such a great idea
                Last edited by Stan.goodvibes; 26 November 2008, 03:41.

Comment

Probably, and September is probably more like his true birth date.

So what?

When the early church was spreading the Gospel in a heathen country, why not hijack the odd (now worthless) pagan festival and use it as a vehicle for spreading the Good News of the Risen Lord?

Easter? Same thing. It was Passover in Israel, but if that coincided with the pagan Spring festivals further north, where the climate was different then again that's just the early church's good luck in having something that could be re-used for a better purpose.

When is spring in the levant anyway? Around February/March? I bet there was some Hebrew festival celebrating that but who cares?

Incidentally, want to know why we take down the decorations before Twelfth Night? Because the early church said that the pagan decorations should be shifted out of the way before Epiphany (the visit of the Magi to the Christ, which celebrated the incarnation), which is celebrated on the 6th January. So the "pagan" side of things lost out when it butted up against something the early Christian church felt was important.

So all those of you who take down your decorations before the 6th, well done. You will receive your reward in Heaven!
                  When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                    If all you can find to say about xmas is "there's too much emphasis on material things" then you're not doing it right!

Yes - there IS too much emphasis on material things
                    And yes it is a right Christian snoozefest at times
                    But......
                    1) freezing cold nights, snuggled in the house with your loved ones drinking mulled wine or mulled cider or Horlicks, wearing jumpers and thick socks, in the dark, watching fairy lights twinkle away.....
                    2) buying prezzies for everyone you love and wrapping them up - ah man that gets me every year, seeing them all there ready to be opened!!
                    3) Buying the tree - I'm always left disappointed, but every year I am just as stupidly excited!
                    4) Xmas dinner itself - one of the best meals of the year. Only made better by wearing the stupid hat I've bought musical crackers this year to torture everyone - each cracker has a bell in it, and we have song sheets to follow
                    5) Boxing day FootyPubDay - it's the calm after the storm. Everyone is just genuinely happy for once, and I always get a kick out of seeing everyone in the pub in their new jumpers
                    6) Then there's the xmas do's...some hate them, I LOVE them!! When I was younger I used to snog everyone, now that I'm older I just love watching the young'uns get all excited over the same thing

It's humanity man!! Every single real thing about Xmas is the people, their emotions, their behaviour...excitement, happiness, comfort, joy.

The fact that it's a big corperate rip off or a big cheese fest - well that's just secondary.
                    wss

bravo sa

and when you have young kids xmas is truly fantastic.

Comment

Xmas in the UK is hopeless. Too cold and crap to do anything much that is fun.

Xmas in NZ involves lots of BBQ's, swiming in the pool, relaxing in the sun and nice cold drinks.... lovely.

Plus we have extra bank holidays, so it is like a 2 week free summer holiday

Comment

Working...
                      X