• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alistair Darling to raise income tax rate for top earners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deano View Post
    I remember the old days, Maggie in No. 10, Big Ron in the Whitehouse and all was right with the world. Milk and honey all the way.
    For middle-class families on high-rate contracting money, who paid off their mortgages and had savings.
    Not so good for the normal person who had a mortgage with interest rates of 10-15%. I remember getting my first savings account in the 80s
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      For middle-class families on high-rate contracting money, who paid off their mortgages and had savings.
      Not so good for the normal person who had a mortgage with interest rates of 10-15%. I remember getting my first savings account in the 80s
      Interest rates may have been up there but the total cost of ownership of a house was much much less.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        But much more complex than rates and a nightmare keeping track of people who move around a lot = red tape.
        No, the simplicity of the poll tax was what brought it down! Everyone paid the same amount, chavs and squires alike, with no complicated rules about house size, house features or income. Politically unacceptable in the end, but what could be simpler!

As for keeping track of people who move around, they still do that now, and quite rightly.

Comment

Labour did this in the 1970's and so all the high earners left the country, taking their business with them - and therefore their tax revenue with them ... so begins the downward government induced spiral

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            No, the simplicity of the poll tax was what brought it down! Everyone paid the same amount, chavs and squires alike, with no complicated rules about house size, house features or income. Politically unacceptable in the end, but what could be simpler!

As for keeping track of people who move around, they still do that now, and quite rightly.
            Its a bit like saying everyone no matter how much they earn should pay the same amount of tax. The poll tax was wrong.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
              Labour did this in the 1970's and so all the high earners left the country, taking their business with them - and therefore their tax revenue with them ... so begins the downward government induced spiral

In those days tax was 90%, nobody is that stupid to do that again.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                The poll tax was wrong.
                The poll tax was to pay for local services, why should I pay more than the chavs when I get the same services as them.

Sure I have a bigger house but our refuse are probably the same, water usage the same, demand on the local servies pretty much the same.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  In those days tax was 90%, nobody is that stupid to do that again.
                  They can probably get away with 45% and even 50% but there will come a point.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

whats this about deferring CT increase for small business?
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      The poll tax was to pay for local services, why should I pay more than the chavs when I get the same services as them.

Sure I have a bigger house but our refuse are probably the same, water usage the same, demand on the local servies pretty much the same.
                      Your argument also applies to income tax. I dont think we want to live in a society that is so focussed on money. There are certain things that we as a society should provide for each other at a minimal cost, subsidised by the better off such as health, education, security and dustbin emptying

Comment

Working...
                      X