• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am a celebrity get me out of here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Pretty much WHS although I never watch these "reality" shows.

I despise the cult of Celebrity that's sprung up where people are famous for having attended the opening of an envelope think they're something special and their view is validated by airtime as they make utter pillocks of themselves in an absurd situation or location.

The only way any of these X Factor/ Big Brother/ I'm a Celebrity type programmes would be watchable would be to add random mines/grenades/napalm strikes/ninja attacks at irregular but frequent intervals.
    I would agree with regards to Big Brother, but the X factor has genuine talent on it. Also anything that reveals the true personality make up of celebrities is fascinating. Strictly come dancing is also good in that it exposes personalities behind people who have achieved at very high levels of their professions, and it shows how adaptable these people are to other environments.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Ben Elton love or loathe him predicted the ultimate destination of these programs was celebrity death or murder. I think we may have already had the former.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I don't normally know who any of them are, but Kilroy is well-known and watching someone like that is an education. My mental picture of several CUK members is a little like him.

Also, Mr. Sulu... that's kind of cool.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I watched it last night because the missus told me that a lesbian tennis star was going to eat In sex.

What a disapointment to discover that she will be only eating a kangaroos hairy anus instead. Boo hiss, bbc or whoever

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

This is the only reality show I really like. I don't watch the x-fucther/cum dancing, etc. Agreed about Kilroy, he's hardly said anything but is looking potentially obnoxious. Navratilova may surprise - I saw her on some other show some time back and she was a real gent (losing gracefully to an amateur). Woohoo!
            Last edited by TimberWolf; 17 November 2008, 20:09.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              I would agree with regards to Big Brother, but the X factor has genuine talent on it. Also anything that reveals the true personality make up of celebrities is fascinating. Strictly come dancing is also good in that it exposes personalities behind people who have achieved at very high levels of their professions, and it shows how adaptable these people are to other environments.
              I couldn't care less about the personalities of these nobodies who're supposedly famous for some trivia or other that gets them onto trash TV.
              These programmes are the mindless muzac of the TV world, they cost next to bog all to produce and only entertain the QVC/ soap opera oriented, mindless, cretinous lowest common denominator of British society.

Do you get the impression that I'm not a big fan of this kind of TV?

Comment

That's all fair comment - I'm just not interested in how adaptable any of these people may be - I don't care. I have a passing interest in the lives of a very small number of authors, musicians and business people, but it is limited to how they grew up and arrived at the point they are at rather than whether they can eat insects or dance the samba.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  That's all fair comment - I'm just not interested in how adaptable any of these people may be - I don't care. I have a passing interest in the lives of a very small number of authors, musicians and business people, but it is limited to how they grew up and arrived at the point they are at rather than whether they can eat insects or dance the samba.

it could be that you are simply a pair of nervous introverts who find the company of others intimidating. You probably lack any interest in trying to understand other people and are only comfortable in a world of virtuality who's only interests are yourselves and what you can achieve on Warcraft.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

it could be that you are simply a pair of nervous introverts who find the company of others intimidating. You probably lack any interest in trying to understand other people and are only comfortable in a world of virtuality who's only interests are yourselves and what you can achieve on Warcraft.
                    Never played Warcraft and I don't get off on watching people humiliate themselves in order to raise their publicity profiles so that they get invited to the next licking of a stamp.

I utterly despise these lowest denominator programmes. They don't provide entertainment, humour, education or information, they're the cheapest possible form of TV programmes that feed entirely off and help to perpetuate the cult of celebrity.

Comment

Never played Warcraft (or any online game, or Second Life or anything similar in my life). I wonder if your need to characterise me in a particular way simply because I don't enjoy the same telly (or think Thatcher was a genius who saved us all, for another example) says more about you than me. I did start by saying what you said was fair comment - I am not trying to invalidate your choice of telly; no doubt there are things I watch that wouldn't appeal to you. I get a fair amount of ridicule at home for my love of University Challenge.

Comment

Working...
                      X