• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ebay sniping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Probably not because it'd dissuade lots of people from bidding at all.

yes
    snipers

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

yes
      snipers
      You know what, I can't be arsed to argue with your drivel any more. AtW gets added to yet another ignore list
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I am not talking about me here. It's simple question really - in your view would auction sellers choose such anti-sniping option for their auctions if they could do so when setting it up? I say vast majority would certainly do that, they might even pay little extra for that but if it was free option 99% would do that.
        I think you're wrong and sniping works well for sellers too because those who are determined to win will snipe and enter a high bid price. Several of these all happening at the last minute can make an item's price shoot up dramatically, which is of course great for sellers. If every time this happened the auction got extended for 5 minutes then bidders would carry on as now and play it like a real auction without bidding their maximum, thus depressing prices.

From a buyers point of view, no one has mentioned that so many sellers are dishonest and use sockpuppets to push up prices, that sniping protects them from such sellers because the seller cannot explore a bid's upper limit by making bids with other ids. If auctions were auto extended every time there was a last minute bid, that would enable sellers to dishonestly push prices up even further.

So, in my opinion, sniping protects buyers from dishonest sellers, while enabling sellers to achieve better prices honestly. Win Win.

Now, can you please stop whining?

The whole topic of why eBay's got it wrong and some other mechanism works better has been done to death elsewhere on the net.

Comment

yes
          snipers
          no, everyone - because they know they'll get ripped off by dishonest sellers pushing up prices using fake/mates' ids

EDIT: on this one you are just plain wrong - get over it

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Now, can you please stop whining?
            You're new here aren't you?

Comment

I am right on this just like I was right on house pricing - just like in that the only suprising element is inability of large number to make simple strategic calculations to see what particular choices will lead to eventually and whether this is the direction they really want to go.

Turns out Ebay in Germany actually banned sniping for a period of time until some lowlife went to court to overturn it.

Comment

I am right on this just like I was right on ...
                Gah!

I'm glad I don't know you in real life, you must be very bloody annoying

Comment

This message is hidden because AtW is on your ignore list.
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I'm glad I don't know you in real life, you must be very bloody annoying
                    Well, I would probably be viewed as annoying by people who are incapable of making basic calculations, but I just avoid meeting those in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                      This message is hidden because AtW is on your ignore list.
                      Which message where you ignoring? So I can quote it for you!

I do hope this thread gets made sticky. Or maybe we need a classic threads thread which could be made sticky.......

Comment

Working...
                      X