• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Folks, a gentle reminder...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=cailin maith;681103]2 mins in Manchester - I could hear the gun going off in St Peters Sq.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure that was anything to do with the rememberance service?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

[QUOTE=Spacecadet;681112]
      Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
      2 mins in Manchester - I could hear the gun going off in St Peters Sq.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure that was anything to do with the rememberance service?

It could be a major coincidence but I'm guessing not!
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Well done to all that observed the silence

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
          2 mins in Manchester - I could hear the gun going off in St Peters Sq.
          More likely someone holding up the Post Office 'round those parts.
          The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme View Post
            Just out of interest, when did the 1 minute silence become a two minute silence ?

The remembrance silence has always been 2 minutes. It later became common to mark other events or people with a one-minute silence. Lately of course it is sometimes a 1-minute round of applause to suppress dissent, which IMHO defeats the point that a silence impresses by its unanimity.

Comment

I forgot. April 25th is my day of remembrance anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post

The remembrance silence has always been 2 minutes. It later became common to mark other events or people with a one-minute silence. Lately of course it is sometimes a 1-minute round of applause to suppress dissent, which IMHO defeats the point that a silence impresses by its unanimity.
                I thought the applause was just for footballers and other folk as a "celebration" of their lives, rather than a remembrance?
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  I thought the applause was just for footballers and other folk as a "celebration" of their lives, rather than a remembrance?
                  Nope - Celtic "celebrated" remembrance day on Sunday with a minute of applause because some supporters had threatened to disrupt the minute of silence as they see the poppy as a sign of English repression / imperialism.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    The applause as Diana's coffin trundled through London was the most horrible thing I'd seen in years. Applauding a stiff! FFS!

Comment

I forgot, but I was the only one here so nobody spoke. However, <puts on flame-proof suit> I don't really see the point anyway.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X