• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Airline reward programmes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I'm on the American Airlines one and I've had a few free upgrades from Economy to Business and from Business to First over the years.

A couple of weeks ago when my wife and me went to New York I paid with points and cash ($300) for both of us to get upgraded ffrom economy to business. On the way out they bumped up up into first - which was nice. I used to have 126,000 before my trip - I'm probably on about 26,000 now

I'm also on the Marriott rewards thing. That paid for my hotel while in New York.
    How long before airmiles and hotel points schemes are a "taxable benefit"?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      Which ones do you think offer the best value? I currently collect BA miles but never seem to be able to get much joy out of them on the dates I want to fly. Any better programmes out there?
      bmi is the most generous in the UK.

Downside is that you have to fly with bmi.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        bmi is the most generous in the UK.

Downside is that you have to fly with bmi.
        It's a shame that BMI are such fascists when it comes to hand luggage.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          How long before airmiles and hotel points schemes are a "taxable benefit"?
          It's been considered, particularly in the US.

However, it's recognised as an absolute nightmare to adminster - how do you determine what points were earned from a business trip and what weren't? The yanks abandoned the idea for this reason.

That said, I remember having an email at Oracle which encouraged consultants to cash in their points and stay / fly for free rather than paying for accommodation / flight and then charging it to the client...
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            +1

4kg limit, IIRC, which means you struggle to travel hand luggage only. My cabin trolley thing weighs 3.2kg empty! I got away with it last time on BMI because I checked in online, but I got a telling off on the way back when they weighed my hand luggage, though they still let me take it on. I even stuffed my books into my jacket, and put on all my jumpers to keep the weight down when at the checkin desk!
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              The only time I've had a problem with bmi and hand baggage was in 2000 when one week they made me weigh my small suitcase, which was over-weight. I took stuff out of it, stuck it in my laptop bag, which they didn't weigh, and they were happy with it. Once I was in the lounge, I repacked it back in the suitcase.

The annoyance at the moment is that the flight to Manchester that I used to catch changed from an A320 to some tiny thing, so you could barely get a bag of any size in the overhead, and they made you put them in the hold.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

FYI luggage is supposed to go in the hold, makes it easier for everyone
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Does it ****. Especially when you're dealing with Belgian baggage handlers.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

+1

Comment

WHS ++++++

Those selfish pr1cks that consider themselves more important than everyone else and somehow feel that they deserve a special dispensation with regards to their hand luggage infuriate me. Put it in the hold you inconsiderate twats.

Comment

Working...
                      X