• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Airline reward programmes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    I am saying, that those frequent flyers that enter frequent flyer schemes, after being made aware of what the anti-terror laws as they apply to air-travel really are, are in league with the terrorists.
    Let's pretend I am really thick (not hard I know) but could you clearly explain the link between entering a reward programme, the anti-terror laws and how entering said programme can result in me being in league with terrorists?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      Let's pretend I am really thick (not hard I know) but could you clearly explain the link between entering a reward programme, the anti-terror laws and how entering said programme can result in me being in league with terrorists?
      Airlines didn't like people gaming the rewards programmes, and so had been trying for many years to bring in rules to ensure that their customers show a photo ID card before travel. This was resisted by their customers for many years until 9/11 when the airlines saw their chance, and jumped on it, to invent rules requiring photo ID. The airports also joined in, banning liquids, so you'd have to spend more money once you passed through 'security' on a drink whilst you wait, or that present for the mrs, etc.

By entering a reward program you perpetuate this craziness, and add to the climate of fear. It is in this perpetuation of a climate of fear that helps the terrorists.

Comment

By entering a reward program you...
        ... get to sit in a nice lounge and have some free nibbles before you get on a plane. End of.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Airlines didn't like people gaming the rewards programmes, and so had been trying for many years to bring in rules to ensure that their customers show a photo ID card before travel. This was resisted by their customers for many years until 9/11 when the airlines saw their chance, and jumped on it, to invent rules requiring photo ID. The airports also joined in, banning liquids, so you'd have to spend more money once you passed through 'security' on a drink whilst you wait, or that present for the mrs, etc.

By entering a reward program you perpetuate this craziness, and add to the climate of fear. It is in this perpetuation of a climate of fear that helps the terrorists.
          and 2 + 2really does equal 76.433
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Doesn't apply at Schiphol, you only get security checked (for most gates) just before you board.
            B00med!

Comment

Interesting theory. Complete and utter bollux imo but interesting nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                ... get to sit in a nice lounge and have some free nibbles before you get on a plane. End of.
                Yes, the 'I'm all right jack' position. How wonderfully selfish, yet you still suffer for your selfishness by enduring pointless queues and poor service. Just consider how much better the whole air-travel experience would be without the nonsense. How much better the lounges could be if they didn't waste all the money on 'security' just to prevent you booking your air-miles on a mates card.

Comment

yet you still suffer for your selfishness by enduring pointless queues and poor service.

No I don't. BA has premium check in & security at Heathrow. I don't need to queue with the oiks.

And if you think security lines are long then you must have stopped flying in 2002.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    No I don't. BA has premium check in & security at Heathrow. I don't need to queue with the oiks.

And if you think security lines are long then you must have stopped flying in 2002.
                    You seem happy to pay for an extra to a service that is, in fact, unecessary.

Comment

Yes, the 'I'm all right jack' position. How wonderfully selfish, yet you still suffer for your selfishness by enduring pointless queues and poor service. Just consider how much better the whole air-travel experience would be without the nonsense. How much better the lounges could be if they didn't waste all the money on 'security' just to prevent you booking your air-miles on a mates card.
                      Hang on there, passport control is required for immigration reasons...

Secondly matching your boarding card to your passport is required for "not being bloody stupid" reasons...
                      B00med!

Comment

Working...
                      X