• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

is he being ripped

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cheers eternal and dodgy,i agree with the fact he is developing a trade and he himself is of the same mind and he is getting work at this difficult time though i suspect because they only pay him a fraction of what they pay the other guys ..what i think i need to find out is how the sub-contract thing works ie do you dictate the pricing or do you get what you are given ..should he be getting some kind of record of work completed and hours done from the contractors ..i know it may seem a tad strange daddy butting in but he wont say anything as he feels he may put his job at risk this i can understand but he is nearly 20 earning at best £150 a week and i feel it for the lad ..he has agreed to me putting a few feelers out and seeing what others think ...i wonder if he is only being paid for a certain amout of hours and someone else is possibly creaming some of his wages off ..cynical i know but possible unless some kind of work record is available.. so is it normal for no form of work record to be given to my son??????

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
      Ooh, they have a yellow hard hat as their logo.

Any suggestions for a CUK logo?

How about a set of bollocks?
      Haha.

Not a hard hat for us - maybe one of these ...

Contractor Cap

Comment

Surely it would be this
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
          Surely it would be this
          I never gave them permission to photograph my gold vault.

threaded
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by smithandrew12 View Post
            cheers eternal and dodgy,i agree with the fact he is developing a trade and he himself is of the same mind and he is getting work at this difficult time though i suspect because they only pay him a fraction of what they pay the other guys ..what i think i need to find out is how the sub-contract thing works ie do you dictate the pricing or do you get what you are given ..should he be getting some kind of record of work completed and hours done from the contractors ..i know it may seem a tad strange daddy butting in but he wont say anything as he feels he may put his job at risk this i can understand but he is nearly 20 earning at best £150 a week and i feel it for the lad ..he has agreed to me putting a few feelers out and seeing what others think ...i wonder if he is only being paid for a certain amout of hours and someone else is possibly creaming some of his wages off ..cynical i know but possible unless some kind of work record is available.. so is it normal for no form of work record to be given to my son??????
            see what happens? you ask a sensible question and you have to put up with a world of sh1te. Thats why, usually, when anybody asks a sensible question, I give THEM a world of sh1te. its sort of pre-revenging.

As a dad, you cant protect him all his life.
            The best way to learn about sharks is to get bitten a few times, you dont want him to get bit, being his dad, but he'll survive.
            In my opinion, the best thing you can do is to get the right attitude into his head, work hard, dont let anyone down, be excellent at everything you do, even if its sweeping up after the guys. When you make the tea lad, stand back and say, 'noone else could have done that better'.

He might lose a few quid now, being green, but if he has those attitudes, he will make it big time, in the long run.

PS, this is an IT forum, the computer boys. We are those dickheads you see down town drinking Belgian beer

good luck mate

Last edited by EternalOptimist; 10 November 2008, 20:37.
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

smithandrew12,

I'm no builder however my wife works in the industry (no shes not a builder before the comments come back) however she thinks he should probably be on more money. It also depends on if he is being paid by the job or by the hour. Either way, they should have some record of what has been done, however not all companies stick to this.
              Either way, if he is working a 37.5 hour week and paid hourly, he is being paid below minimum wage, and either way this is illegal. BUT rocking the boat at this stage may not be the best thing to do with the economy the way it is.

Whatever you decide, be prepared for the wortst in case the tell him to sling his hook, a badly paid job is always better than no job.

Comment

£150 a day seems about right as long as he isn't paying for a labourer out of his own pocket.
                My kid brother charges between £210 and £240 a day
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

cheers eternal and bill and everyone else

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    PS, this is an IT forum, the computer boys. We are those dickheads you see down town drinking Belgian beer
                    while the plasterers are off in Dubai?

Comment

I'm not a builder either, but my partner (romantic) works for an electrical construction firm, and she says that all their electricians (not the mates) are on higher rate tax.

Comment

Working...
                      X