• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Glasgow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glasgow

What does the panel think about this city?

I went there over the weekend and I was quite impressed. Quite a nice place. Architecturally very interesting; nice accent; lively but not aggressive drunkenness on Sauchiehall and surrounding streets; not far from Loch Lomond etc. The only thing was the shopping is not fantastic (unless you're into pound stretcher kind shops), and also it was quite cold and obviously damp which to me seem to indicate they don't get much of a summer up there. But otherwise: top marks.
    Chico, what time is it?

"But otherwise: top marks"

Hurrai.... Rebecca scored
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Yes interesting pubs but don't go there if you have a loud voice and plummy english accent old boy.

I once went in winter and it was fcuking arctic there. Brrrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos

The only thing was the shopping is not fantastic (unless you're into pound stretcher kind shops)
        I take it you didnt find the fashionable boutiques lurking in the arcades just behind the main facades then?
        Did you go for a Ruby in the Kama Sutra?
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Female population of under 18-30 age there is way too bitchy.

Perversely unyielding too.

Comment

Done a contract up in Glasgow. Nice place, stayed at the hotel with the railway station, lovely big bath.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I was expecting this kind of reactions from our scorer-in-chief Mr Italian Stallion! Yes I did score Francko, but as I went there with a guy you'd expect so wouldn't you.

No I didn't find many small arcade shops, truth is I had to visit the shopping areas in a bit of a hurry so I didn't find that the nice shops if there are any, are easy to find. But good if there are some, I'll have to go back.

I am quite into victorian architecture and I was very pleasantly surprised up there.
              Chico, what time is it?

Comment

As you live in London, it would seem a little silly to visit Glasgow just for the shopping, but yes you did miss some of the nicer shops. There are one or two nice little arcades which are not obvious.

My wife was having a real moody one with the shopping untill she saw somebody come out of a doorway with lots of carrier bags from shops she hadnt seen. I should have done a runner, but we went to investigate Doh!.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I was expecting this kind of reactions from our scorer-in-chief Mr Italian Stallion! Yes I did score Francko, but as I went there with a guy you'd expect so wouldn't you.
                  Naaaa... that's cheating.

How about Edinbra? Some say is very nice (well at least it's full of australians-new zealanders at new year, right?). There must be a reason why Shaunboy is in Glasgow, isn't it?
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Glasgow? Full of Neds. George Square is covered in chewing gum. Fecking freezing in winter! Some lovely scenery on the West Coast of Scotland though.
                    Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
                    You know you'll need us!

Comment

Working...
                    X