• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ok, so worst case scenario

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One way to make money during the downturn is to collect the reward payable for kicking the living tulipe out of Tay

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Are you a single male?

If yes then you will have no access to public sector housing.
      True.

If you own a motor vehicle then you will be expected to live in that and no further help will be provided. If not they will provide you with a list of local letting agents. That is the total of the help that you will get.
      And the letting agents will be asking you if you have any court orders (what about the ISP or telco who refuses to process your cancellation?) and expecting a couple of months deposit plus a months rent up front. By that stage you probably don't have 3 months rent to put down.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        One way to make money during the downturn is to collect the reward payable for kicking the living tulipe out of Tay

You need to calm down.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
          I think worst case scenario you'd see 90% of people move back temporarily with family or share with a friend.
          And if you are on the social, you'd be wise not to pick family. The social won't pay any rent, and might expect your family to support you all the way.

Your friend will be allowed to let a room out tax free (the limit in the 1990s was 45 quid a week), which definitely makes them more willing to help you.

Yes, it's absurd that you can't contribute rent to your parents who are pensioners, but I assume those rules are there to stop the kind of blatant abuse of the social system that we can read about in the Daily Mail. The thing is, if you've supported yourself all your life in an honest way, you are unlikely to know how to bend the rules to your advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Do you make these lies up yourself, or do you just repeat the lies of others?

That just shows how much YOU know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              The thing is, if you've supported yourself all your life in an honest way, you are unlikely to know how to bend the rules to your advantage.

If anyone does find themselves in this horrible position.
              The best advice you can get on how to use the system to your advantage will be down the local pub with the scallies.
              You will have to adopt a no-scrupes attitude, get used to living on toast, beans and tins of meatballs for special occasions, lower all your other expectations.
              forget holidays, christmas birthdays etc, dont throw those old trainers away- they will be your sunday best in six months time.
              Dont watch adverts on telly unless you are immune to depression, and be nice to everyone, you will need all the friends you can get.
              Start brewing your own ale, plant spuds if you have a garden and learn to like the smell of your stinky unwashed body.

I have a six foot length of rope in my garage just in case it ever comes my way again

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                And the letting agents will be asking you if you have any court orders
                That is another thing. A large proportion of those who are casualties of the recession/depression will never work again because they will have ‘issues’ in their background such as poor credit history, CCJ’s, the poor physical and mental health that goes with prolonged idleness and poverty, and the problem of skills decay. Any form of credit including connection of utilities will be out of the question.

No matter how much the government reduce benefits to make low paid jobs ‘more attractive’ than benefits, or the Conservatives idiotic plans to put the unemployed on chain gangs picking up dog mess in the local park, is going to have any affect on the policies employers use to filter out ‘unsuitable’ applicants. Subsequently, those same employers will claim that they cannot find the people they need in the UK and need to import them.

I am so glad I don’t have to worry about this anymore.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  I have a six foot length of rope in my garage just in case it ever comes my way again

I hope you're not over 6', or there may be a flaw in your plan.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                    i've been thinking about this on and off for a while..

everyone is sayong "OOOooo doom is coming" etc etc. and i believe them..

however, there are a lot out there that dont have a clue whats going on, so, in a major recession, given the scenario that people will lose there jobs and then cant afford mortgage or simply their bills to live, they effectively just cant afford to live, what would actually happen?

they register for the dole.. ok fine
                    they go on the council house waiting list.. alright makes sense

but both of those options dont cover basic costs and by that point they'll have big heavy men knocking on the door tapping a baseball bat..

so they register as bankrupt..

but still they have no job... there are no jobs and they cant afford to get by as there are no council houses..

so what happens then?

the only thing i can think of is that homeless figures rise dramatically..

am i right in this thinking? i am quite curious..
                    Are there no workhouses ?

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                      Are there no workhouses ?
                      Cardboard City?

Comment

Working...
                      X