• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ok, so worst case scenario

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Given the 'help' that is available to people who fall on hard time; it makes you proud to pay all those taxes when times were good.

In the recession of the early 90's I got shafted but was lucky in not having to go through all that. However, I knew two of two guys who killed themselves over it. It was a result of those times that I took the attitude that I will put myself in a position where I didn't do the T-word, because it was theft as I got nothing for the money extorted from me.
    I quite sympathise with that. I believe it's a sign of a good idea not working right, but on a personal level I can see your point.

Comment

I got to be quite the expert at surviving through this tulip from my mid 20's for ten years. I could provide a good few tips on how to cope, but for Gods sake dont let Tay know, he'll be on your back calling you names like a playground bully

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I think we're going to need all the tips we can get.

How can we get in a position where we "didn't do the T-word" legally?
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyberman
          .. and if you are Polish and return as unemployed to Poland, we continue to pay your dole money...... it's only fair.

No this is true, we pay income support to the polish who become unemployed for 6 months.....even if they return to Poland

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34

Its in the metro, it must be true
          ---------------------------------------------------
          Recruitment consultants were sent to punish us all!

Comment

FYI:

The U.K.'s economy will probably be the worst performer in the G-7 next year, with the European Commission forecasting a contraction of 1 percent. The euro-region will grow 0.1 percent, the U.S. will contract 0.5 percent and Japan will shrink 0.4 percent, the Nov. 3 predictions show.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...qA4&refer=home
            Bored.

Comment

I think worst case scenario you'd see 90% of people move back temporarily with family or share with a friend.

Sure some people will be orphans/not get on with parents/no mates and they also don't have any cash then those are the people the state should help.

Hope it never happens to me but my Mum and Dad wouldn't see me on the streets and there are friends who would give me a couch/spare room for a bit.

I read Paul McGrath's autobiography a while ago and he got out of court once with no wallet - it would be returned the next day, no where to go - fight with ex-wife where he was staying.

He wandered the streets. Eventually an old friend took him in. *Gulp*.

Ultimately though if you can keep, say, ten grand in the bank then that is your own 'social security'. You have your six month living costs right there.

It bemuses me when you hear people saying stuff like "well I'm on the bench but I have two months living costs". Where the hell has the rest of the money gone?

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
                Ultimately though if you can keep, say, ten grand in the bank then that is your own 'social security'. You have your six month living costs right there.

It bemuses me when you hear people saying stuff like "well I'm on the bench but I have two months living costs". Where the hell has the rest of the money gone?
                Er, not with a 2k monthly mortgage it isn't.

Why so high? 10-year mortgage, due to age.

And to the other question: my ex-wife.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post

You're a student aren't you?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Do you make these lies up yourself, or do you just repeat the lies of others?
                    You should be more carful about accusing people of telling lies.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                      I got to be quite the expert at surviving through this tulip from my mid 20's for ten years. I could provide a good few tips on how to cope, but for Gods sake dont let Tay know, he'll be on your back calling you names like a playground bully
                      That was already covered.

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
                      They turn to crime and take what they need from you.

Comment

Working...
                      X