• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The new mac....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I actually have a Vostro which cost about £300 (2Gb RAM, 15" screen), it weighs a ton since I got the larger batter pack but is great value.

However, I thought we were discussing the new Mac which is 2kg?

Cheat! That's the baby 13 incher, the 15 incher is the one I was comparing, so

Largely ignored the 13.3" one as the 1280x800 screen is a let down otherwise it would be the mutts nuts. The 15.4" 1440x900 may be just about ok, but would have liked a bit more height.

I must admit, if I was in full blown contractor mode (and not a tad worried about future income with a renewal looming in the next few months) I'd probably have one of these babies. Now I've seen some real images and not photoshopped ones, I'm less inclined to complain, much like how Cheryl Tweedy's accent is lost in all the beauty.

Some real photos of the Macbook Pro:

http://www.whatlaptop.co.uk/YQZrXwZo-WckGQ.html

Gorgeous.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
      MacBook Pro weight: 2.49 kg

Hardly light. Most 15.4" laptops hover between 2.5kg and 3kg, so this mofo is nothing special.
      I think my Dell 15.4" D531 is about 2.7Kg, and that was with the extra battery which can last 6 hours. It's almost as slimline as a Mac book too.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        http://www.apple.com/macbook/the-new...ch.html#medium

i think i've just come....pletly smitten
        Oh dear, the people in this video come across as members of a cult.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          Oh dear, the people in this video come across as members of a cult.

Almost right. You're getting you're 'l's and your 'n's mixed up.
          Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Ha ha ZD net just sent me this:

Apple tempts with $999 MacBook?
            Mary Jo Foley: Apple didn't end up fielding an $800 MacBook this week, as many had been expecting. But the company did cut the price of its entry-level MacBook to just under $1,000 at its October 14 notebook rollout.
            So remind me, what's the UK price?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              So remind me, what's the UK price?

Unfortunately not quite the cost of a flight to NYC and back.

Anyone got trustworthy relies over there that can Fed-ex us some over on the qt?

What's the exchange rate on $1000, about £750?
              Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Went over to the apple store in weegie land today for a feel of the mbp.

The turns offs:

1) The glossy screen. I need a matt screen. The screen made a better mirror at times.

2) The GPU's - fantastic the technology crap you've got to log in and out to switch between the two.

3) Aesthetics. I don't really care for theme but goodness I really prefer the old theme. I wish I never heard iPhone comment but that's all I see a big iPhone on it's side. Not pretty - it looks nicer with the lid down.

The good stuff:

1) The build. I think the construction of this laptop is 1st rate. It is heavier than the old 15" mbp even feels brick like but i like that.

2) The two button button-less mouse. Superb. The space to scroll around is fantastic. It is weird at first but you soon get used to it. Press and hold with your thumb scroll with the index finger, far more intuitive without the buttons if only for the extra space alone.

What I did not care for:

1) The price - yes expensive but if you're a well heeled contractor money should be no problem.

2) The resolution. Perfect for me in fact. Any greater and my eyes would be hurting.
                Last edited by scooterscot; 19 October 2008, 16:46.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X