• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

quitting smoking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
    Ouch! smoking's not THAT bad for you
    haha beat me to it ravello
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I gave up about 4 years ago. The way I did it was

1 - work out how much I was spending on cigs. That more than the health benefits gave me an incentive.
      2 - got my wife to give up at the same time. We had this rule that if one person smokes then the other will. So because I didn't want her to and she didn't want me to, neither of us did.
      3 - as snaw said earlier try to anticipate the triggers. For me, a really stupid one was a speed camera on the A40 just by the Greenford turn off. I knew that if I lit up at that speed camera, I could finish my cig by the time I got to the gates at work. Once I gave up I found my hand would literally itch. Once I was aware of this I could anticipate this.
      4 - don't have any cigs around as you will make up an excuse to have one.
      5 - don't make any rules up like only smoking when you go out etc. It doesn't work.

I did it by going cold turkey while my wife used the patches (good thing that I worked at GSK at the time and could get them for £4.39 instead of the £17 they were charging at Tescos). A bit later on my mother in law gave up and she was a 40-60 a day person. She did it through being hypnotised. While it didn't remove the will power part of things it did help a lot. She'd tried many times in the past to give up without any joy.

When I go out for a beer I could still murder a cig. What I found straight after was that when I went out I got pi55ed more because instead of holding a cig I would hold my pint. As a result I tended to finish it quicker and so drink more pints per night. The good thing is my lungs should be much healthier now although I am awaiting a liver transplant
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

As Willie Rushton so wisely said, "Stop putting cigarettes in your mouth and lighting them."

Or, as Mark Twain said, "Stopping smoking is easy: I have done so thousands of times."

Comment

the urge to smoke is a test of your resolve. how determined are you to stop? your nicotime nemesis will be tricksy but you can do it!

my wife and i stopped smoking when our first born was conceived over 9 years ago. for us there was no option but to stop - so we stopped. actually, i found it remarkably easy depite having been quite a heavy cigar smoker - i just needed a reason not to smoke that was more signficant than the urge to smoke. everybody is different though. money, smell, health... focus on one of those and use it as a weapon against the urges that will twist inside your gut.

good luck.

chefs shouldn't smoke!

Comment

Working...
          X