• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

quitting smoking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Get your head round the idea of the habitual part of smoking - specifically the triggers - after meals, waiting for transport etc. Gotta prepare for them, and either avoid them or figure out a strategy.

I still fall down 5 years later with beer, I can go a night at home and have a few beers and no worries. But if I go out, and the missus isn't around to give me a hard time I always end up smoking. Never ever do it without beer involved now, so sort of beat it but fall by the wayside now and then.

Good luck chef, it's a biatch!
    yeah your right, i find it easy to simply say "thats it" and i stick to it as long as im busy doing things, meals isnt a problem, i'd prefer to stay sat, chat and have another glass of wine but i always fall down on the beer/pub side of things especially when gf chef isnt around or when im just hanging around waiting for something..

it sounds stupid but i never actually thought of planning for such a thing and finding an alternate solution, sounds so simple now, that's probably the best advice (other than stu's "dont pick them up off the street" i've had.. cheers snaw
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      try and cut down on your drinking
      do some excercise
      get some proper sleep
      Is that to chef or to everyone?

I quit 22 DEc 1989. I still miss it.

Trick was realizing I could not have 1 cigarette....

Comment

The best advice I was given was to tell myself (when the pangs hit) 'I won't have this one, maybe the next one'. The next one never happens, but your brain stops nagging you.

On a practical level, I had a nicotine inhaler - yes they taste bloody awful, but eventually I used it without a cartridge. Actually, I used it for 2 months in the same way a baby uses a dummy but I tole myself 'at least it's not killing me'. I only quit when I lost it You have two habits to get over: the physical and the mental.
        Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

I read Alan Carrs book and it didn't work for me

I was sceptical but Paul Mckenna's book worked for me. Didn't even crave them the CD was the most usefull part

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smoking-Toda...d_i=B0001P1BBG

The reviews are acurate
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I've been struggling with the giving up smoking thing for the past year. The key for me is to stay off alcohol in the house and avoiding pubs despite the smoking ban. Bit of a tough one giving up both at the same time but I can keep the will power going as long as no alcohol is involved.

Upside is I'm doing more exercise and getting fitter and feeling less like drinking anyway.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

I found I could go to the pub straight away with that CD, infact the book encourages you not to change what you do other then the smoking. If you stop listening though you start craving again.
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                I found I could go to the pub straight away with that CD, infact the book encourages you not to change what you do other then the smoking. If you stop listening though you start craving again.
                Nice one BP, I'll order it.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
                  The best advice I was given was to tell myself (when the pangs hit) 'I won't have this one, maybe the next one'. The next one never happens, but your brain stops nagging you.

On a practical level, I had a nicotine inhaler - yes they taste bloody awful, but eventually I used it without a cartridge. Actually, I used it for 2 months in the same way a baby uses a dummy but I tole myself 'at least it's not killing me'. I only quit when I lost it You have two habits to get over: the physical and the mental.
                  This is kind of the strategy I used except I used the nicotine gum instead of an inhaler.

Comment

It's quite clever really, it's brainwashing, but not patronising. I found the Alan Carr book to be repetitive and very patronising, repeating the same tennents over and over i.e. smokers are sad. The McKenna book was more about taking control cravings and subconscious control rather than trying to turn you into a anti smoking hitler. I found I could stand with my smoking friends and not want one within a matter of days. There are similar CDs but the McKenna one is one of the best. I must admit I didn't particulary like the guy or believe him before, but it does work and it's very relaxing, that's probably the best part, remove the triggers remove the craving!

<edit> i used the gum method and it can work for a while, but it's nowhere near as good as the hypnosis, and more expensive

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                      It's quite clever really, it's brainwashing, but not patronising. I found the Alan Carr book to be repetitive and very patronising, repeating the same tennents over and over i.e. smokers are sad. The McKenna book was more about taking control cravings and subconscious control rather than trying to turn you into a anti smoking hitler. I found I could stand with my smoking friends and not want one within a matter of days. There are similar CDs but the McKenna one is one of the best. I must admit I didn't particulary like the guy or believe him before, but it does work and it's very relaxing, that's probably the best part, remove the triggers remove the craving!

<edit> i used the gum method and it can work for a while, but it's nowhere near as good as the hypnosis, and more expensive
                      FFS, a contractor moaning about the price of gum. We're all doomed

Comment

Working...
                      X