• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stock market riots

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    (I know, I'm being pedantic )
    I'll leave it at that then

(quoted for posterity)
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      Anyone else thinking LG is sitting at his desk right now, going slightly red and thinking oh bugger, as he scrambles around website after website realising he's just made himself look like a complete arse?
      No you smug twat, it was a genuine question.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
        No you smug twat, it was a genuine question.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          I'll leave it at that then

(quoted for posterity)
          Hey!!! That was copyrighted.
          "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
            Didn't Argentina go bankrupt in that one?
            They defaulted on a debt to the IMF due to over leveraging and huge public spending and were forced to devalue the currency that was pegged 1 to 1 with the dollar.

Getting wind of the devaluation to 3 to 1 people started withdrawing deposits which caused a run on the banks.

HSBC were the first to close its doors - then the rest - then the riots.

Interestingly, they devalued the small amount of mortgages that existed if you bought in Pesos so it cost a third less to service - if you bought in dollars would cost you three times as much in real terms for what you earned.

now they have revalued the Peso mortgages to the precrisis level and those unlucky few have to come up with 3 times as much as they had to pay 3 months ago.
            Last edited by Fishface; 8 October 2008, 13:29.

Comment

Genuine interest too. HSBC is (I think) one of the biggest players in the Asian market and almost owns the Hang Seng. If there is a run in China then it is likely to be affected.

I honestly thought (and have done for years) that HSBC was a Hong Kong based company. It's name, it's logo everything about it suggest it is.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

looks like your plan is coming to fruition oh greenish one. what number was it?

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                  Genuine interest too. HSBC is (I think) one of the biggest players in the Asian market and almost owns the Hang Seng. If there is a run in China then it is likely to be affected.

I honestly thought (and have done for years) that HSBC was a Hong Kong based company. It's name, it's logo everything about it suggest it is.
                  Fair enough, but if you don't know then don't go making statements like:

Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation HSBC. Big clue in the name there guys.
                  It's likely to get you shot down.
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

If you make pompous posts that turn out to be wrong.. expect to look like a muppet LG.... and you def look like a muppet.

Comment

It's likely to get you shot down.
                      Be fair, it was born in HK and was a HK registered company for nearly 130 years. You can forgive a guy for not noticing it has been British registered fro a mere 20 cant you?

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Working...
                      X