• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stock market riots

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation HSBC. Big clue in the name there guys.
    I may be wrong but I was under the impression that this company owns HSBC UK.
    Please correct me.
    It was set up by a scot to give financing to european firms wanting to trade with a beaten china (following from the opium wars)
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

HSBC has more in deposits than it lends and thus its SP is almost 10 quid, so this scaremongering is totally ridiculous.

Comment

So is it the other way round then? HSBC UK owns HSBC China? Which one owns nearly 70% of the Hang Seng?
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

HSBC also stands for Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, and used to be the Midland Bank, who I used to work for.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            you do know that HSBC is a british bank?
            Technically, not correct.

HSBC bank plc is what you know as the High street bank and that is a British bank, but HSBC group is made up of quite a few others.

http://www.hsbc.com/1/2/about-hsbc/group-members

HSBC group is headquarted in London though.
            "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              So is it the other way round then? HSBC UK owns HSBC China? Which one owns nearly 70% of the Hang Seng?
              Read what PRC1964 posted. It's owned by a holding company, which is registered in the UK. It's head quartered in the UK. It was setup by a Scotsman, for trade in HK and Shanghai etc. HTH.
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

from wikipedia

"HSBC Group is one of the oldest banking houses in the modern world. After the establishment of Hong Kong as a British colony in the aftermath of the Opium War, a bank was needed to finance the growing trade between China and Europe.

Although the holding company, HSBC Holdings, was established in 1990 to become the parent company to The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation in preparation for its purchase of Midland Bank and a change of domicile for the transfer of sovereignty of Hong Kong, its main and foundation-laying subsidiary The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation.. was established in Hong Kong and Shanghai in 1865. The founder, a Scotsman named Thomas Sutherland, wanted a bank operating on 'sound Scottish banking principles.' "

British when hong kong was british, moved to uk after hong kong was not british.
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                  Technically, not correct.

HSBC bank plc is what you know as the High street bank and that is a British bank, but HSBC group is made up of quite a few others.

http://www.hsbc.com/1/2/about-hsbc/group-members

HSBC group is headquarted in London though.
                  Thats how many international companies are structured.
                  Doesn't make my comments incorrect
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Anyone else thinking LG is sitting at his desk right now, going slightly red and thinking oh bugger, as he scrambles around website after website realising he's just made himself look like a complete arse?
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                      Thats how many international companies are structured.
                      Doesn't make my comments incorrect
                      A holding company is not a bank.

(I know, I'm being pedantic )
                      "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
                      X