• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone here still banking with an Icelandic bank?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I said:

"Iceland appears to be a big hedge fund, only it is their banks that highly leveraged things - I'd stay away from those as they are good candidates to be allowed to go bust completely."

But what I did not say now "I told you so" as means of gloating.

But I am grateful for you to dig up that post

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
      Just printed out statements etc, its showing as being cleared off the ICESAVE account balance is currently 37p , so its out there somewhere...come to daddy please ..

Man I have that horrible sick / tulipting it feeling in my gut now, might just go home cant work.
      I'd still get in touch with the bank that it has been sent to. Like chef says, by now they may well be able to see the payment coming in.
      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Just printed out statements etc, its showing as being cleared off the ICESAVE account balance is currently 37p , so its out there somewhere...come to daddy please ..

Man I have that horrible sick / tulipting it feeling in my gut now, might just go home cant work.

silly idea i know, but why not call your bank?

"hello, i made a BACS transfer on sunday, as it's now day 2 do you have any visibility of the transaction being processed?, it is coming from iceland and i am concerned it has been withheld"
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Have you rung Icesave, and have you rung the receiving bank ?

I'm happy ( must of cracked up ) to wait and see for my 35K worth but for 200K I'd be on the blower ( please report back ! ).

Alternatively go out and get totally slaughtered !

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
            Have you rung Icesave, and have you rung the receiving bank ?

I'm happy ( must of cracked up ) to wait and see for my 35K worth but for 200K I'd be on the blower ( please report back ! ).

Alternatively go out and get totally slaughtered !
            Paying with...?
            B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Don't go home and kill your family.

Didn't you post some time ago about moving your money from IceSave?
              Yeah I was going to move it tried to do it on Friday but forgot password so in end did it on Sunday evening.

Yeah Ive rang ICESAVE x 2 day and they said it will be fine they said stuff that went through yesterday morning will be ok, stuff after that is a bit dodgy, but he couldnt give a guaranttee. All I can say is thank F8ck I stuck with it on Sunday night getting the transaction through. Also rang recieving bank but they cant see anything, if it comes through today it will be later after 6pm.

I read this on another forum, do you they could sell off ICESAVE ?

-----

Let's look at the facts as, understandably, there is an awful lot of speculation, gossip, and waffle.

1. There is no need to consider a claim for compensation yet as Landsbanki has not gone bust.

2. The government has taken control over the bank so it can get a grip and sort it out.

3. The bank has been put it into receivership. This is NOT the same as liquidation. If it was liquidated, it would have to pay out to all creditors. Receivership gives it short-term protection against anyone laying a claim on them.

3. The PM has stated that it has already begun restructuring the bank. Now, this could involve the selling off of its overseas assets and repatriating the money back to Iceland (as widely documented) and could also include (and I am guessing here), the sell-off of Icesave to another bank (a bit like what GB did the sale of the Bradford & Bingley accounts to Santander).

4. As a result, and to fully evaluate what Icesave is worth, no transactions are allowed to take place. This is understandable.

5. Icesave have to sit tight and await instructions from the PM (and so do we for that matter).

Freezing the bank accounts is the only option (mine being one of them). If not, people would take all their money out - I would be tempted. However, if later on today, the PM announces that Icesave is being sold off to another big, strong, stable bank, say HSBC or Santander for example, no-one would worry and they wouldnt have lost a penny.
              Last edited by Bumfluff; 7 October 2008, 13:00.

Comment

I rang the dolly birds at RBS.

Planks, two short ones come to mind, might aswell of asked Atw

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
                  Paying with...?
                  Didn't think of that, must have a few nickles ( nickels ? ) and dimes left ?

Comment

flip bad really bad Anyone else here who have used ICESAVE, I transferred cash out on Sunday evening, when do you think I should see it in my account if its going to turn up ? Its shows as processed on the 6th Oct in the ICESAVE statement and is not on my balance.
                    It is probably lost somewhere between crashed servers , you will oly never see this money again.

Comment

Sounds like it has gone through. I did £70k on Friday night but opted for the CHAPS so it came though yesterday. Your transfer would have been actioned on Monday and this was before the SHTF so, got everything crossed, but gut feeling is that cash will have left them and there is no way they will be able to claw it back.

Can't believe how close a call that was. Really think you will be OK mate but have a couple of whiskeys when you get home anyway

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
                      It is probably lost somewhere between crashed servers , you will oly never see this money again.
                      We all like a wind-up but baiting someone who may have lost £200k is uncalled for
                      my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Working...
                      X