• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

dealing with hostile permies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    are you fearful of bitter permies?

No, I pity da fools.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
      The downside will be more contractors in the market
      Won't most end up as permies elsewhere? Plus you'll still be more experienced.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Remember it is best to always tell them to go contracting if they have the

a) Skills
        b) Commitment
        c) Work Ethic
        d) Balls

That normally resides in some old crap about having the skills, but having a family/resposibilities and needing to know where their money is coming from each month.

That normally shuts them up.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          That normally resides in some old crap about having the skills, but having a family/resposibilities and needing to know where their money is coming from each month.
          "I would, but I have a mortgage to pay".

One permie I worked with who said that was being made redundant, so really he had nothing to lose by trying to get a contract instead of a permie job. He'd had done better than me to be honest, because he had a wider more in demand skillset, but he wouldn't listen and just went for permie roles.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            "I would, but I have a mortgage to pay".

One permie I worked with who said that was being made redundant, so really he had nothing to lose by trying to get a contract instead of a permie job. He'd had done better than me to be honest, because he had a wider more in demand skillset, but he wouldn't listen and just went for permie roles.
            I know somebody who did exactly the same. Got a package of 30K and went off looking for a permie role immediately. In the 10 years I've known them, they've alway said 'I could go contracting'. But didnt!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Its partly something to do with permies feeling that they have somehow failed in life and they want you to attain the same level of failure by ultimately ousting you, whereas in reality you haven't 'really' done that much better than them.

Very astute observation - as Robert Zimmerman said

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
              Gargles in the rat race choir
              Bent out of shape from society's pliers
              Cares not to come up any higher
              But rather get you down in the hole
              That he's in.

And from the same ditty

For them that must obey authority
              That they do not respect in any degree
              Who despise their jobs, their destinies
              Speak jealously of them that are free
              Cultivate their flowers to be
              Nothing more than something
              They invest in.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                Who despise their jobs, their destinies
                Being a contractor doesn't save you from despising your job, but it does give you greater freedom to sort it out, walk away, etc without any financial hardships. And if you do happen to be doing something you ahate, you may as well get as much money for doing so as possible.
                Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

What they don't appreciate is that whilst they're only getting a 2% pay rise contractors are suffering 30% drops in rate, I was talking to one permy who thought that was just as we've always earnt more than them.

The trouble is they only ever see the bottom line and never consider the considerable costs in terms of travel training and bench time that we have to take into consideration let alone the risks.

It makes me laugh when their excuse to stay permie is the mortgage, whilst they're earning just enough to keep a roof over their heads for the next 25 years they could have it paid off in 5.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    The trouble is they only ever see the bottom line and never consider the considerable costs in terms of travel training and bench time that we have to take into consideration let alone the risks.
                    All my travel costs are paid for by my clients. I haven't been on a training course in over 5 years but have had no unwanted bench time

Comment

Working...
                    X