• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Next: "Did you like that? Fred Dibnah in his own words" by Don Haworth, the original director of the Dibnah programmes in the 80s/90s before David Hall took over.
    Done: off to Oxfam with it. Since it was published in the 1995 it misses out on his 2nd divorce & 3rd marriage, though it includes details & accounts missing from the other book.

Next: The Calculus Wars by Jason Bardi. Bought 14th of May 2011.

Well it was an option on that or "I was Hitler's Chauffeur" by Erich Kempka . .

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: "Fred" by David Hall, the Fred in question being one F. Dibnah of steeplejacking fame. Purchase 16/11/2019 in those distant days before the plague.

There's a paperback copy of it too, as is only right & proper, like.
    Done. Off to Oxfam with it.

Next: "Did you like that? Fred Dibnah in his own words" by Don Haworth, the original director of the Dibnah programmes in the 80s/90s before David Hall took over.

And this is what happened to his Series II Landrover:

http://www.v8engines.com/projects-008.htm

It's the Trigger's Broom of Landrovers. .

And the current owner can't sell his house:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...house-18209636

Though he has sold most of the machinery from the garden.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 8 August 2023, 11:48.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: Churchill's (not that one) Grand Alliance by John Charmley: The "special relationship" laid bare. Purchased 23/08/2017.
    Done. Illuminating on how "The Special Relationship" is strictly one way, The Greeks were/are slaves to the Romans.

Poor old Eden did his best.

The Septics got their wishes re the Empire & much good did it do them.

Next: "Fred" by David Hall, the Fred in question being one F. Dibnah of steeplejacking fame. Purchase 16/11/2019 in those distant days before the plague.

There's a paperback copy of it too, as is only right & proper, like.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 August 2023, 22:32.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: Boots on the Ground: Richard Dannantt.

Ah. Mr Begin has made his glorious appearance. Always raises my hackles. .
    Done. I'm sure Oxfam will be endlessly grateful.

Next: Churchill's (not that one) Grand Alliance by John Charmley: The "special relationship" laid bare. Purchased 23/08/2017.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 26 July 2023, 21:34.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next:

"The World of Star Trek" by David "Tribbles" Gerrold (c) 1974, revised 1996*.

Next: Double Cross by Ben MacIntyre. (There's "The Double Cross System" by J. C. Masterman waiting in another pile).

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: City on the Edge of Forever or "how Star Trek ruined my wunnerful story" by Harlan Ellison.
    Done. He swears nearly as much as I do. Off to Oxfam with it.

Oddly enough the interview with Joan Collins re her part in said epic was on the other night.

She had no real recall of it which pissed off Mr Ellison no end when she said that her character was a supporter of dear old Adolph.

Next: Boots on the Ground: Richard Dannantt.

Ah. Mr Begin has made his glorious appearance. Always raises my hackles. .
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 August 2023, 22:29.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: I got the steps out so: "Blighty: the quest for Britishness blah blah" by Steve Lowe & Alan McArthur.
    Done. Amusing enough. They nearly swear as much as me, the foul mouthed mother****ers. . Off to Oxfam with it.

Next: TBD, so much choice.

"The World of Star Trek" by David "Tribbles" Gerrold (c) 1974, revised 1996*.

*By adding an introduction regarding the then tidal wave of memoirs, many of which were ghost written for the WWWC.

Well the first section is tedious beyond measure. And isn't 1974 a loooooooooong time ago. .
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 July 2023, 08:06.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: "Tales of my time" by that Raymond Baxter chap who was present when his wingman attempted to shoot down a V2 in boost phase.

Well there's a fecking surprise: shot down once in Italy.

By the Septics. However he was lucky since his CO was killed.
    Done. Oddly written, quite disjointed. Most inneresting part was his wartime flying, next was the rallying, and the Dunkirk Little Ships. Off to Oxfam with it.

This was quite striking:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...20of%20Dunkirk.

Next: I got the steps out so: "Blighty: the quest for Britishness blah blah" by Steve Lowe & Alan McArthur. Purchase 13th of June 2009. Almost new.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 July 2023, 07:41.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: "Beam me up Scotty" by James Doohan who very probably has very little good to say about the WWWC's avatar. .

Then again, he's not exactly alone in that. .
    Done: off to Oxfam with it.

Next: "Tales of my time" by that Raymond Baxter chap who was present when his wingman attempted to shoot down a V2 in boost phase.

Purchased 8th of May 2010, so it's festered well on the shelf.

Well there's a fecking surprise: shot down once in Italy.

By the Septics. I thought they were supposed to be on our side? However he was lucky since his CO was killed by the same bunch of cretins.

When the British shoot the Germans duck, when the Germans shoot, the British duck, when the fecking Septic cowboys shoot every ****er ducks
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 14 July 2023, 14:33.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Beyond Uhura by Nichelle Nichols. Another book by someone less than enthusiastic about the WWWC.

Next: City on the Edge of Forever or "how Star Trek ruined my wunnerful story" by Harlan Ellison.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X