• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Next: "Inside Apple" by Adam Lashinsky. Oh look: 3 references to The Woz.

Compared with a shed load for Jobs, the thief of $5000, the door stop book about whom met the Oxfam shop last year, the book about The Woz remains upstairs on a bookshelf.

Feck me, this is a hagiography for the great idol Jobs. How no one shot the mother****er is a miracle.
    Done. And off to Oxfam it goes on the next trip.

Next: "Star Trek(tm): I'm working on that" by William Shatner (and Chip Walter whoever he is).

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    "Huddling Place" by Clifford Simak from "Science Fiction Hall of Fame Vol. 1".

Written in 1944.

Chap can't fly to Mars to operate on his friend because of agoraphobia brought on by technology.

I suspect it's the reason the book remains on the bookshelf since most of the other Golden Age stories in it aren't up to much, though that Zeity chap might disagree about "Arena" by Frederic Brown. .

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm re-reading Power of One/Tandia by Bryce Courtenay. I would say a total classic though I'm not sure how look it might avoid censure these days, it's quite heavy content - while still being a really easy to read gripping story.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

It's bleak and grim so far and I can't see it getting any less so.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: "Star Trek in myth and leg end" by Thomas Richards, 1997. Purchased 17/03/2001 so I have owned it for 22 years and 8 days. .
    An odd tome investigating the myth & story of Star Trek, written in 1997 so not quite up to date.

Not altogether helping that I haven't watched STNG in decades.

Next: "Inside Apple" by Adam Lashinsky. Oh look: 3 references to The Woz.

Compared with a shed load for Jobs, the thief of $5000, the door stop book about whom met the Oxfam shop last year, the book about The Woz remains upstairs on a bookshelf.

Feck me, this is a hagiography for the great idol Jobs. How no one shot the mother****er is a miracle.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 2 April 2023, 20:58.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    "Introduction to Electronic Defense Systems" - Filippo Neri
    Given its topic, an accessible if weighty tome.
    Last edited by Zigenare; 28 March 2023, 10:29.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: "Space Chronicles" by Neil deGrasse Tyson. Somewhat lighter. It was half read 5 or more years ago, time to read the rest & off to Oxfam it'll go.
    Done. Added to the donation pile for disposal in due course.

Next: TBD. "Star Trek in myth and leg end" by Thomas Richards, 1997. Purchased 17/03/2001 so I have owned it for 22 years and 8 days. .
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 25 March 2023, 20:38.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    William Gibson - Mona Lisa Overdrive.

I had no idea his work was built into several trilogies, I've always read them as stand alone books. I found out about 5 minutes ago when I looked up his bibliography to see what else I hadn't read of his work.
    see above, i've just read the latest two.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    William Gibson - Mona Lisa Overdrive.

I had no idea his work was built into several trilogies, I've always read them as stand alone books. I found out about 5 minutes ago when I looked up his bibliography to see what else I hadn't read of his work.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: TBD. "Dirty Words" by Mark Morton. Dunno how this one will go, it being about etymology.
    Thank feck that's done with. Donated to Oxfam, the lucky lucky bastards. .

Next: "Space Chronicles" by Neil deGrasse Tyson. Somewhat lighter. It was half read 5 or more years ago, time to read the rest & off to Oxfam it'll go.

Stone me, I must read a lot, I have 25% of the posts on this thread. .
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 25 March 2023, 19:45.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X