• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brining it back on topic a little:

Currently reading Chickenhawk by Robert Mason.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      I got bogged down in The Brothers Karamzov. A friend (?) remarked that the first 300 pages or so were a bit boring, but it got interesting after that.
      The only book that brings tears to my eyes...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I have a few on the go:

The Dice Man - George Cockroft - Hard Work
        The Black Swan - Harder Work.
        My Booky Wook - Russell Brand - More my level.

The missus reads whatever those great literary scholars Richard and Judy recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post
          I have a few on the go:

The Dice Man - George Cockroft - Hard Work
          The Black Swan - Harder Work.
          My Booky Wook - Russell Brand - More my level.

The missus reads whatever those great literary scholars Richard and Judy recommend.
          Sounds like the missus has marginally better taste

Comment

She must have - she's going out with me.

It's quite funny in places actually. Not as funny as The Timewaster Letters, but then again they're a different league...

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post
              She must have - she's going out with me.

It's quite funny in places actually. Not as funny as The Timewaster Letters, but then again they're a different league...
              I wouldn't read Brand on principle as I think he is a right twunt. I did laugh at the mtv bit he did the other day though.

Comment

I picked up a mates copy of my booky wook and had to put it down after flicking through it. The bloke is a tw@t and to read about him throwing his hissy fits before his MTV days you'd think the guy was Tom Cruise or something.

Brand is one man in dire need of a dose of euthanasia.
                "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  I wouldn't read Brand on principle as I think he is a right twunt. I did laugh at the mtv bit he did the other day though.
                  His dealing with Bob Geldoff in 2006 at an awards do was just lovely! Geldof had called him a c**t:

Really it's no surprise he's [Geldof] such an expert on famine he has after all been dining out on, "I Don't Like Mondays," for 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    [Karamazov] The only book that brings tears to my eyes...
                    Oh bugger, do I have to dig it out and try again?

Comment

Haha! It's the odd gem like that which makes it all worthwhile. Comedy is too safe and boring these days.

I like the fact that everyone thinks he's a tw@t - he knows it too. It doesn't really matter - he's a funny tw@t.

People said the same about Ricky Gervais from his 11 O clock show days - then when he went mainstream everyone fell in love with him.

Comment

Working...
                      X