• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    i read a pratchet novel once a long, long time ago. i can't remember the title but i do remember that it was utterly, utterly crap and i wouldn't ever go there again. not ever.
    With a name like Pratchet it was probably some vanity press trash trying to play on the success of Pratchett...

B00med!

Comment

i read a pratchet novel once a long, long time ago. i can't remember the title but i do remember that it was utterly, utterly crap and i wouldn't ever go there again. not ever.
      Seems like Pratchett is a bit of a marmite author.

Comment

I never read pratchett - but I always fancied giving him a go...

Who was that fella who wrote hitch hikers guide to the galaxy. My ex husband read them books - took him about a year, poor lamb - to be fair he was dyslexic

Wanted to give them a go but when we split up he got them
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          Seems like Pratchett is a bit of a marmite author.
          I read Mort in the 80s. Everyone said "It's soooo great!"; it was a turd from beginning to page 10, so I stopped reading it.

Comment

Daytime - VMWare Infrastructure 3 Advanced Technical Design Guide
            by Ron Oglesby and others, quite surprisingly easy to get into

Nighttime - Ansons Law of Contract (28th ed) by Jack Beatson you've really got to dig the subject matter to get hard about it.

Pleasure - Currently digesting Bronson, don't go near it it's a steaming crock of poo, but I've started so I must finish it. Can heartily recommend Scar Tissue about Anthony Kiedis (he of Red Hot Chilli Peppers fame).

Pratchett, the man is a genius, I got into him when I was about 12 and read The carpet people think the borrowers but funny. I lost a bit of interest about half way through the Discworld series, they began to get a bit monotonous and I think he was churning them out about every 9 months. Same with David Gemmell, he was brilliant until some time after Waylander II then it just got like a production line.

Anyone here ever read the DragonLance series by Weis and Hickman? Top, top series.
            "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
              I've just read his latest offering too, excellent although not set on the Discworld.
              Good to hear it was excellent. I have not bought it yet as I was not sure (given that it is not Discworld based, although I loved the joint collaboration behind Good Omens).

May purchase on your recommendation.
              I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Really? To each his own, I guess.

The Discworld books make me laugh out loud.
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Never understood why all smelly techie geeks like crap fantasy and sci-fi like Pratchett and Tolkien. Arrested adolesence, so shallow guff appeals?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                    Pratchett, the man is a genius, I got into him when I was about 12 and read The carpet people think the borrowers but funny. I lost a bit of interest about half way through the Discworld series, they began to get a bit monotonous and I think he was churning them out about every 9 months. Same with David Gemmell, he was brilliant until some time after Waylander II then it just got like a production line.
                    His best stuff has been some of his more recent stuff - going postal is pure genius and his best book by far. I think he went through an ordinary patch a while back, but he's definitely back on form.

Saying all that, I dunno if it's me or the sci-fi/fantasy genres but there's been very little great stuff written in the last few years. IMO of course.
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Dreaming of Jupiter by Ted Simon.

Stick Charley Boorman/Ewan McGregors tales up yer bum...
                      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                      X