• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pyramids - Terry Pratchett (Marmite author or not I like his books and his humour, no idea how many times I've read this and all the others in the Diskworld series) - bedside
    How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie - coffee table

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post

Who was that fella who wrote hitch hikers guide to the galaxy.
      Douglas Adams. Hitch Hikers books are fab, also worth trying to source Douglas Adams Dirk Gently novels.
      I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by Another Dodgy Agent View Post
        Douglas Adams. Hitch Hikers books are fab, also worth trying to source Douglas Adams Dirk Gently novels.
        I've got those, I like what Douglas Adams wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          Pyramids - Terry Pratchett (Marmite author or not I like his books and his humour, no idea how many times I've read this and all the others in the Diskworld series) - bedside
          How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie - coffee table

Djelibeybi
          I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
            Really? To each his own, I guess.

The Discworld books make me laugh out loud.
            really. of course i may have just picked a bad one or read it in the wrong frame of mind. after all i didn't think much of "100 years of solitude" when i first read it. now, i know it is a masterpiece. got no beef with the imagination or scope but the language was poor. it didn't appear to be crafted with any care for the reader - it read like a dictated proof.

dictated proof. i like that. might make a good username.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
              i absolutely loved that book the second time i read it. the first time i thought the same as you commented. i know i am going to read it again.
              So is there a good ending? I'm kind of struggling through the last 100 pages!

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                really. of course i may have just picked a bad one or read it in the wrong frame of mind. after all i didn't think much of "100 years of solitude" when i first read it. now, i know it is a masterpiece. got no beef with the imagination or scope but the language was poor. it didn't appear to be crafted with any care for the reader - it read like a dictated proof.

dictated proof. i like that. might make a good username.
                Umm, did you just say you didn't like it because the language was poor and it wasn't crafted with care for the reader, really?

Like you weren't taking the piss or dangling a bait?

Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Pratchett - New Poll?

I feel a new poll coming on:

Do you like Pratchett novels?

Yes, he is like a Wordsmith of the Gods

No, he reminds me of Recruitment Agents

AndyW is a better novelist

Comment

small giants by Bo Burlingham - good stuff for building a small company with other values than growth
                    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by Another Dodgy Agent View Post
                      I feel a new poll coming on:

Do you like Pratchett novels?

Yes, he is like a Wordsmith of the Gods

No, he reminds me of Recruitment Agents

AndyW is a better novelist

Go for it
                      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...