• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insulting Clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insulting Clients

One of my clients employs a lot of so called "Social Employees", i.e. not for their skills but because the government subsidises the jobs.

In principle I am all in favour of such things, but when they get promoted to be Sys Admins or into Management all sorts of interesting things occur.

Which, unfortunately, I have to charge for.

Which is nice.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Originally posted by threaded
    One of my clients employs a lot of so called "Social Employees", i.e. not for their skills but because the government subsidises the jobs.

In principle I am all in favour of such things, but when they get promoted to be Sys Admins or into Management all sorts of interesting things occur.

Which is nice.
    Really? How interesting.
    Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
    You know you'll need us!

Comment

Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
      Really? How interesting.
      No it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by planetit
        No it isn't.
        OK, yes you're quite correct, no it isn't.
        Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
        You know you'll need us!

Comment

You don't need any more money for pies.

Comment

Aye Threaded

BTW you might recall a recent thread regarding a quote from Jesus, in which you mentioned that the parable about My Fathers mansions had some connection to the system of finite and infinite numbers , could you expand in in Readers Digest terms what you meant as I was interested in your concept ?

Comment

Originally posted by insight14
              You don't need any more money for pies.
              I'm not so sure - have you seen the cost of pies in Denmark recently?

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
                Aye Threaded

BTW you might recall a recent thread regarding a quote from Jesus, in which you mentioned that the parable about My Fathers mansions had some connection to the system of finite and infinite numbers , could you expand in in Readers Digest terms what you meant as I was interested in your concept ?
                He was talking about Cantor's theory of transfinite sets. Essentially it shows that there are different "orders" of infinity, the lowest being so called "countable" sets, whose elements can be matched one-to-one with the set of positive integers.

Infinite proper subsets of positive integers, for example squares 1, 4, 9, .. can be matched in this way, as can the set of all rational fractions (m/n with m and n both integers), and many other sets.

This bamboozles many people, because many of these sets appear to be either sparser than the integers, i.e. proper subsets of them (the 1, 4, 9 example), or vastly more prolific (in the case of fractions) and include _them_ as a proper subset (1/1, 2/1, ..).

However, some sets cannot be put in one-to-one correspondence with the integers, and Cantor proved that the set of all real numbers was an example.

In the context of Cantor's theory, the "size" of an infinite set is called its cardinality, and the sequence of cardinality for increasing orders of infinity is denoted by the Hebrew letter alpha - The positive integers have cardinality aleph0, the real numbers aleph1, and so on. A cardinality can be identified as a power of the preceding one, e.g. formally aleph1 = 2^aleph0.

For a long while people wondered if this was the complete sequence of possible cardinalities, or whether there were "intermediate" ones. But in the 1960s a guy called Cohen showed that this was undecidable, i.e. demonstrably unprovable using the existing axioms of set theory. But I think most "mainstream" axiomatic set theories in use today assume the sequence is complete.

Not surprisingly, despite being a sound as a bell, Cantor's theory generates more kookery than any other maths topic on the internet (with the possible exception of the endless "Is 0.999.. the same as 1?" debate).

Sadly Cantor himself went a bit loopy in later life, although whether pondering on infinite sets was a contributory factor I don't know. But like Darwin, he certainly faced some hostility and ridicule when his theory was published.
                Last edited by OwlHoot; 6 September 2005, 10:31.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

OwlHoot: Succinctly put.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

...when they get promoted to be Sys Admins...
                    Personally I would consider Sys Admin to be a severely painful kick in the b0110ck$!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X