• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who is turning to a permie role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Combination of a load of things, some of them personal/lifestyle related which I won't get into. .
    Went permie this year. Pleased I did 'cos money ain't bad, work is a doddle and it "should" be safe for 3 years or so.

The Permie mind set is a trap though - I can feel myself wanting a "nice new motor on HP

Not really bothered about the macho "I'm always a contractor" thingy.
    This decision was based entirely on wanting to be at home for the next few years.
    Anyway, I doubt if contracting will ever pick up again to the heights it once was.
    My best rates were in the late 90s. Since then, contractor pay has slumped to a third of what it used to be. The "extra" mullah at the end of the year in't worth the agro.
    Will miss the illusionary "Master of Destiny" thing though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
      Went permie this year. Pleased I did 'cos money ain't bad, work is a doddle and it "should" be safe for 3 years or so.

Not really bothered about the macho "I'm always a contractor" thingy.
      This decision was based entirely on wanting to be at home for the next few years.

Will miss the illusionary "Master of Destiny" thing though.
      Contractor board probably not the best place to admit it but I can empathise with those sentiments for sure.

Comment

Update:

Unsuccessful at interview, at least he told me at the end...

interview went like this...

Interviewer - i am looking for someone to manage xyz stuff...
        Me - Erm, it says I've done abc on my cv....
        interview- thats ok, you don't need to know it, just project manage
        me - exactly, project manager manage...

cue questions along prince2 and project management etc.....

ends on

Interviewer - sorry, you havn't got the job as you've not done xyz before

me - so why did you call me for an interview...

interview - i like a chat i do....

WTF

Comment

I am currently contracting for £26 an hour but may consider a permie job for £35k at the same place when this gig ends.

All I want is some training and development, and a place to hide in case the crunch is prolonged.

Comment

Originally posted by HermanDune View Post
            I am currently contracting for £26 an hour.
            Hey, I thought I was the only one working that cheaply! Well, some stuff I do at £30-35 but my main project is £25.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Hey, I thought I was the only one working that cheaply! Well, some stuff I do at £30-35 but my main project is £25.
              I have been even cheaper...£11.42 when I started in May 2007! I was very naive!

Comment

ClientCo's offered me a permie role twice. Didn't even ask what they were paying, all it took was seeing the permies ask me for nice feedback and troop off to their quarterly reviews to convince me!
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

What do you do?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Indeed you were.
                    That boy go raaaaaaa
                    Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      What do you do?
                      Originally I was a service desk analyst. Then I moved to being a project co-ordinator. Now I'm a business manager, although the job I went for was project controller.

Comment

Working...
                      X