• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Row erupts over dyslexia 'denial'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Row erupts over dyslexia 'denial'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4205932.stm

An education professor has cast doubt on the scientific validity of the term 'dyslexia', saying experts cannot agree on what it is or how to treat it.
    Writing in the Times Educational Supplement, Julian Elliott said it was largely an "emotional construct".

The Durham University professor questions the scientific validity of the term 'dyslexia', saying diagnosis does not lead to particular treatment.

The British Dyslexia Association says the claims are inflammatory.

Professor Elliott, a psychologist, said his argument was based on "an exhaustive review of the research literature".

After 30 years in the field, he said, he had little confidence in his ability to diagnose dyslexia.

There is no consensus as to what it is and how to diagnose it

Professor Julian Elliott

Professor Elliott told the BBC News website: "There is no consensus as to what it is and how to diagnose it. People describe all sorts of symptoms as dyslexia. And if you do diagnose it, it does not point to any intervention in particular.

"It's one of those terms that is like the Cheshire Cat - if it does exist, we don't know what to do about it."

He said, contrary to talk of 'miracle cures', there was no sound, widely-accepted body of scientific work that had shown that any particular teaching approach was more appropriate for 'dyslexic' children than for other poor readers".

Dyslexia is defined by BBC health expert Dr Rob Hicks as "a congenital and developmental condition that causes neurological anomalies in the brain.

"It includes a range of types of learning difficulties where a person of normal intelligence has persistent and significant problems with reading, writing, spelling and sometimes mathematics and musical notation."

'Delusional'

Professor Elliott's claims have angered the British Dyslexia Association.

The charity's chief executive Professor Susan Tresman said: "I cannot accept that view, given the number of researchers into dyslexia that we work with. There were 900 delegates from 35 countries at our conference last year.

Is he suggesting that they are all suffering from some kind of emotional delusion?

Prof Susan Tresman

"There is as much a consensus view as in any area you would care to investigate.

"In excess of one million people download information from our website every month. Is he suggesting that they are all suffering from some kind of emotional delusion?"

Professor Tresman said people with dyslexia often had different symptoms - not just problems with words - and that Professor Elliott seemed to be viewing dyslexia just in terms of poor reading skills.

She said there were a series of well-recognised and highly sophisticated techniques used by psychologists to assess people for dyslexia.

In response, Professor Elliott said: "If you are going to include numbers and music the term is getting meaningless."

Government figures suggest that one in 10 Britons is dyslexic, with four out of 10 of those being severely so.

Students formally diagnosed as having dyslexia are given up to 25% extra time in GCSEs, A-levels and vocational assessments.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is just dollokcs!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Anyone who can prove they are thick should be given 100% pass rate in any exam in the interests of fairness.

Comment

I think I have an idea how to diagnose dsylexia amongst jazz musicians: Give them some sheet music, if it comes out trad they're OK, if it comes out modern they're dyslexic.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

A dyslexic walked into a bra...

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
          A dyslexic walked into a bra...
          Was he a member of the DNA?

Comment

I know some people who are "diagnosed" as dyslexic.

As I understand it, the point is that in most areas they are "normally" able, with strengths and weaknesses like everyone else, but they have various troubles with interpreting the written word or number.

Many years ago they would be classed as thicko's and left to rot. Now, if "diagnosed", they are not.

Comment

In the post PC world (it will come sooner than you think - 2009 when the popular King Harry is assassinated by an Islamic extremist) people will no longer have "learning difficulties", "special needs" or Dyslexia.

They will be THICK AND STUPID AND DEPRAVED and placed where they belong - on the conveyor belt of exclusion reserved for the congenitally dim and depraved, special school, reform school, prison, concentration camp, dog meat factory.

PS I recovered from the temporary bout of liberalism from which I suffered last week. Ta for asking.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 2 September 2005, 17:09.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Xog,

**** ffo yuo insesntive bsatard. Weer not all thick tawts you knwo!

Its ni me galnds.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                  In the post PC world (it will come sooner than you think - 2009 when the popular King Harry is assassinated by an Islamic extremist) people will no longer have "learning difficulties", "special needs" or Dyslexia.

They will be THICK AND STUPID AND DEPRAVED and placed where they belong - on the conveyor belt of exclusion reserved for the congenitally dim and depraved, special school, reform school, prison, concentration camp, dog meat factory.

PS I recovered from the temporary bout of liberalism from which I suffered last week. Ta for asking.

What about useless unwitty old twats who make childish drawings? Surely retards like that should be first on the heap!
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Oooh! I hope your stuffing all falls out!

PS And the mice eat you. THEY were funny those mice! The Sticky Smelly Song. Class.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 2 September 2005, 19:12.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X