• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market books

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Bollux.
    That's a very in depth analysis, that summarises your ability to invest in stock markets.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

JoJo - I also read MW for a long time and yes, they were spot on 80% of the time. They have made some mistakes along the way, but had I followed their advice I would be a lot richer now. For example, they said:

1) Property was going to fall in value 2 years ago.
      2) Buy gold when it was rising $500 and upwards. In fact they recommended silver over gold at that point.
      3) Move money out of the $ and out of the £, into the Euro or into gold.
      4) Buy Japan. Whilst not the best solution, it works a lot better than investing in other markets because the carry trade unwinded, strengthening the Yen, and then the $ broke down, strengthening the Yen further.
      5) Buy oil when it was at $60.
      etc...

I really wish I had the courage of their convictions back then!

Comment

Rule One Investing by Phil Town is a decent starting point. It guides you through the basics of analysis and how the markets work.

It is however written with his approach very much in mind, not that, that is necessarily a bad thing but you might want to read a couple of others before deciding on what approach to investment you want to take.

more info: www.philtown.com
        Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          I admit i know very little but the extreme basics about stocks, shares etc.

I am curious about how it works though and would appreciate if the panel would recommend some books to begin to read up on the subject for a complete beginner..
          They've just ripped them all up.

HTH
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

To get back to the original question, I recommend 'The Naked Trader' by Robbie Burns

Comment

All nonsense.
              As several experiments have already proved, professional investment analysts do no better than a chimpanzee, or children who pick stocks randomly.

What you really need is an understanding of human psychology and past financial panics for which I heartly recommend

"Devil Take the Hindmost - A History of Financial Speculation".

I'm assuming you want to take advantage of volatility in the stock markets, predict the ending of future bubbles and so on.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                But overall aren't these 'experts' little better than monkeys throwing darts at a stock dartboard on average?
                Correct
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar's_Poker
                  Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    "Devil Take the Hindmost - A History of Financial Speculation"..

Beginning with the "tulipomania" that gripped Holland in the 1630s
                    http://www.amazon.com/Devil-Take-Hin.../dp/0452281806

Comment

Reminisicences of a Stock Operator.

Written in 1924 it is the greatest trading book ever written about the greatest stock trader who ever lived. Jesse Livermore. Shame he blew his own brains out, poor guy suffered from serious depression and they never had anything to cure it back in his day.

http://www.nowandfutures.com/large/R..._Livermore.pdf

"The game of speculation is the most uniformly fascinating game in the world. But it is not a game for the stupid, the mentally lazy, the person of inferior emotional balance, or the get-rich-quick adventurer. They will die poor."

Comment

Working...
                      X