• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT qualifications

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prince2 isn't an IT qualification, it's a Project Management methodology that can be applied in running any type of project.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
      Maybe I've been working in IBs too long, none seem to use it.

Also noones yet mentioned the fact that PRINCE2 is just plain *boring*.
      Barclays etc are very big on it...

Boring it may be, but that is a different point altogether.
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

I don't think it's boring. It depends on the project being run, the people involved, and I do actually think it serves a good purpose. The world is a better place having PRINCE2.
        The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
          Barclays etc are very big on it...

Boring it may be, but that is a different point altogether.
          Barclays are not IB

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
            Barclays are not IB
            I know...my point is that large financial institutions do use it.
            "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Prince 2 is often asked for but the vast majority of companies will take an experienced non qualified PM over a newbie PM with Prince 2 and little or no experience.

PRINCE 2 does not guarantee project success is just guarantees your ass is covered if it goes wrong!

And as chef said - a winning personality and a drive to get things done goes a long way too.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Prince 2 is often asked for but the vast majority of companies will take an experienced non qualified PM over a newbie PM with Prince 2 and little or no experience.

PRINCE 2 does not guarantee project success is just guarantees your ass is covered if it goes wrong!

And as chef said - a winning personality and a drive to get things done goes a long way too.
                I heartily agree with your first and third points, but Prince2 doesn't guarantee anything, least of all covering your ass.

Experience >>>>>> Qualifications in any scenario I can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

and big knockers

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
                    Barclays are not IB
                    .. and Barclays don't actually use Prince 2 either. Apart from that, spot on.
                    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

I thought the OP said that he was a BA? In which case, the ISEB qualification in Business Analysis would be better as a starting point rather than PRINCE2. Of course it's Just a shade uinder £2k (or it was when I last looked) so a bit more than the practitioners exam.
                      "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                      "See?"

Comment

Working...
                      X