• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT qualifications

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experience and the ability to blag anything you dont know and then learn it fast are the only key skills I've used.. oh and having an easy to get on with but takes no crap personality

<chef in Bullet Proof mode>
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

CISSP is becoming more widely required and for some totally unrelated roles

The only issue with CISSP is your on going requirement to get the CPE points, plus an annual membership fee

I'll be honest and say I know people who have done this purely to get a foot in the door at companies but I think its being devalued by being required so much these days very much like the microsoft MCSE type quals

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
        WHS++

Personally I don't rate PRINCE2 qualifications, everyone runs their own projects slightly differently anyway and thats not too dificult to pick up in situ.

I would go for something with more substance than management process waffle, eg. I am currently reading up on CISSP, mainly to pass the time on my commute, but if I'm benched in the future I may try out the exam to get a foot in the door there.

WTH?? why would anyone compare project management methodologies to information security qualifications???

Comment

Originally posted by downsouth View Post
          CISSP is becoming more widely required and for some totally unrelated roles

The only issue with CISSP is your on going requirement to get the CPE points, plus an annual membership fee

I'll be honest and say I know people who have done this purely to get a foot in the door at companies but I think its being devalued by being required so much these days very much like the microsoft MCSE type quals
          You're quite right, although I haven't paid any fees for a couple of years, are you sure about the annual fee?

You're quite right as well DavieJones, although I'm not a PM, I have the PRINCE2 Practitioner qualification. Working in Govt circles, it's been very useful for understanding the way the programmes you're working within are managed.

Doesn't look bad on the old CV either...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

You need to be at a certain level to get the experience you seek (i.e. the job), but it will vary quite a lot in terms of what chances you are given. In a perm role you may find that whilst you are not 'fit for the job walking in', they may take a punt on you depending on previous experience, character, academic background and from here you will be given training to get you working in the role offered.

In the contract market it's a bit different, clients are paying money because they want to buy in your skills to perform a task they either can't do, or don't want to do in house. For this reason experience is a very big seller because you can go in and say "Hi, I've been here, done this before, I'm proven" and this will sell you to them. If you walk in and say "Hi, I've got a certificate but never done this in a working environment" then it's more probable they will offer the job to the next guy instead, or see you as too inexperienced.

Your best bet is to go get industry experience, and whilst doing this gain certification in the areas you want to work in. Over time you will reach a level where you can sell these skills and experience in the contract market.
            The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
              You're quite right, although I haven't paid any fees for a couple of years, are you sure about the annual fee?

You're quite right as well DavieJones, although I'm not a PM, I have the PRINCE2 Practitioner qualification. Working in Govt circles, it's been very useful for understanding the way the programmes you're working within are managed.

Doesn't look bad on the old CV either...
              I am not knocking learning other skills, but you have to aim for the ones that the clients want. If you look on Jobserve, there are 3 pages of adverts with CISSP and over 15 with PRINCE2. Having both will help you greatly, but if you had to pick one......
              "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
                WTH?? why would anyone compare project management methodologies to information security qualifications???
                I think the comparison being made is between the choice of which one to study, not which is more useful. But then again it will depend on the individual and their own aspirations.
                The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

If starting out, then qualifications are important - how else can an employer judge you? Once you have a few years' worth of destroying entire systems, faking your own death a few times to dodge Hector, learned the sacred art of blaming offshore colleagues for one's own gargantuan mistakes, then, and only then, are qualifications deemed moot. HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
                    You may not rate it, but it is the one that employers seek, either as an essential skill, or a nice to have.
                    Maybe I've been working in IBs too long, none seem to use it.

Also noones yet mentioned the fact that PRINCE2 is just plain *boring*.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post

Also noones yet mentioned the fact that PRINCE2 is just plain *boring*.
                      Erm, I'm sure you'll find no PM methodology rocks...
                      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                      X