• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Plight of the Gurkha

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
    Am not fasting today - its a sin
    And not giving a toss about injustice isn't, obviously.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      And not giving a toss about injustice isn't, obviously.
      WHS
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Yawn
        I don't know who or what you really are, but you should be grateful to people like the Gurkhas who fought for your (and my) freedom. Do you think if Hitler had won WWII that the resulting administrations would allow people to practise whatever religion they chose? Be grateful that you can practise your fashionable pseudo-Islamism in a free society, because if it wasn't for Gurkhas and the other allied forces (including my father) you'd probably have been shot by now.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
          No. It is very simple - it is about respect and gratitude.

But then expecting politicians to understand those two words is a waste of time I suppose.
          Hear Hear
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Yawn
            Another valuable contribution from SasyDown
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I agree that the treatment of the Ghurkas is appalling.

They deserve so much more than the immigrants who come here so they can live off our so-called welfare state and moan about their "human rights" every time they encounter some obstacle to their lifestyle. In fact some (not all) of the legal residents of this country could follow the example of these (mostly) humble people.
              It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

There really is no argument....
                In addition to the enormous manpower made available there were many personal gestures on the part of the Minister and Court of Nepal. Large sums of money for the purchase of weapons and equipment, including money for the provision of fighter aircraft during the Battle of Britain, were presented as gifts from Nepal. Considerable sums of money were also donated to the Lord Mayor of London during the Blitz for the relief of victims in the dockland area. An equally generous response was made to a variety of appeals for aid – all this from a country which was then, and still is by western standards, desperately poor.

The spirit of this friendship can best be illustrated by the reply made to the Prime Minister of Nepal to the British Minister in Kathmandu after the fall of France in 1940. When Britain stood alone.

Permission was sought to recruit an additional 20 battalions for the Gurkha Brigade, and for Gurkha troops to be allowed to serve in any part of the world. This was readily granted by the Prime Minister who remarked, “Does a friend desert a friend in time of need? If you win, we win with you. If you lose, we lose with you”. The whole of the Nepalese Army was again placed at the disposal of the British Crown.
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
                  http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4761163.ece

It's amazing isn't it? This government welcome's[sic} all and sundry to come over to the UK and live it up and claim benefits (OK I know that not all the immigrants) then these guys who have served and died for the UK are refused! Other foreign soldiers in the Army can settle in the UK after only 4 years but not the Gurkhas. Its it just me?
                  So they won't let the dead ones stay here - that is a bit much.

Ahem - just for the record, there really is no excuse for this, especially as others have observed, when seem happy to import pickpockets, criminals and Islamic terrorists as well illiterates who don't speak English.
                  Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 16 September 2008, 13:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                    Another valuable contribution from SasyDown
                    More concerned with burkas than Gurkhas.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                      So they won't let the dead ones stay here - that is a bit much.
                      I say let all the dead ones in

Comment

Working...
                      X