• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oil Price drops again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Price drops again

Crude oil price February 2008 98 USD per barrel
    The Price of Diesel in February 2008 was £1.10 per litre.
    Crude oil price today is 95 to 98 USD per barrel and falling.
    The Price of cheapest Diesel today £1.24 per litre.

If crude oil is priced through supply and demand what was the sudden demand that created 40% increase and then slumped back?
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Crude oil price February 2008 98 USD per barrel
    The Price of Diesel in February 2008 was £1.10 per litre.
    Crude oil price today is 95 to 98 USD per barrel and falling.
    The Price of cheapest Diesel today £1.24 per litre.

If crude oil is priced through supply and demand what was the sudden demand that created 40% increase and then slumped back?
    Does it take a few weeks to feed through to the pumps? Is there increased tax?

Article I read yesterday suggested falling oil price is bad as :-
    1. manufacturing output dropping off
    2. it will not encourage more exploration.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Article I read yesterday suggested falling oil price is bad as :-
      1. manufacturing output dropping off
      2. it will not encourage more exploration.
      I can see point 2, but I'm lost on point 1.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        I can see point 2, but I'm lost on point 1.
        I **think** they are saying that less manufacturing going on now - hence less demand and oil price goes down. But of ccourse now oil price goes down there will be more manufacturing - boomed surely?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I **think** they are saying that less manufacturing going on now - hence less demand and oil price goes down. But of ccourse now oil price goes down there will be more manufacturing - boomed surely?
          Exactly, your original post suggested that the article you read had the causal reationship the other way round.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I just want to know when the energy companies are going to cut their prices by 25% now that Oil has dropped back.

I'm sure they must be planning it *right now*.

Comment

Remember that the oil price is a future price, meaning they agree to pay a certain price 30 in 30 days time for delivery.

It will also take time to refine the oil into petrol and deliver it to the pump so it is delayed somewhat.

I'm sure there's a chart online somehwere which should show if the petrol price correlates with the delayed oil price. I still think the petrol companies are slower to reduce the price though.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                Remember that the oil price is a future price, meaning they agree to pay a certain price 30 in 30 days time for delivery.

It will also take time to refine the oil into petrol and deliver it to the pump so it is delayed somewhat.

I'm sure there's a chart online somehwere which should show if the petrol price correlates with the delayed oil price. I still think the petrol companies are slower to reduce the price though.
                Indeed. Although there is supermarket competition there are too few garages around. I think less than 10,000 - 40,000 30 years ago - with some closing every week?

Round our way (SE LOndon) alot replaced with flats. BP have sold at least 3 within a 2 mile radius of me.

Comment

Working...
                X