• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who gets angry with stealth taxes ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not unfortunately avoidable

Once the speed camera's revenue falls they just stealthily put down the speed limit. A number of instances of this have been shown.

Don't get me wrong I approve of using speed cameras as part of a road safety initiative, however until very recently they have been the only thing done to reduce accidents.

With improved driving tests, better medical care and improved safety measures in cars accident frequency should drop, actually it seems to be increasing.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Once the speed camera's revenue falls they just stealthily put down the speed limit. A number of instances of this have been shown.

Don't get me wrong I approve of using speed cameras as part of a road safety initiative, however until very recently they have been the only thing done to reduce accidents.

With improved driving tests, better medical care and improved safety measures in cars accident frequency should drop, actually it seems to be increasing.

Speed cameras actually cause accidents by causing drivers to suddenly brake. I find even myself breaking on sight of a speed camera even though I am within the speed limit. It is just a natural reaction but it is dangerous.

They should be removed and other measures used, such as giving points for accidents and banning people for a period of time that have more than two accidents in a year that were their fault. That would certainly concentrate their minds on more careful driving.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
        I find even myself breaking on sight of a speed camera
        The effect is shattering (tm).

"Taxes went up under Labour. That was Gordon Brown's fault.
        Taxes will go up under the Conservatives. That will be Gordon Brown's fault"
        -- Cyberman.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          The effect is shattering (tm).

"Taxes went up under Labour. That was Gordon Brown's fault.
          Taxes will go up under the Conservatives. That will be Gordon Brown's fault"
          -- Cyberman.

Absolutely true, because Gordon Brown is running an ongoing budget deficit with total disregard for any attempt to balance the budget. The deficit over the year will be approx. 100 billion which has to either be repaid or financed.

If taxes did not rise to plug this financial deficit created by Brown, it will fall into the Tories' laps who would be slated for cutting services, unless the Tories continue to run the Brown instigated overspending levels, which of course they will not, and cannot for the good of UK PLC.

Commonsense says that taxes will have to rise and some services will have to be cut, and of course this is Brown's fault. If Brown leaves the Tories with a balanced situation then of course that is different and taxes can fall, but this scenario would take a miracle to achieve before 2010 and I really don't thin Brown cares because he wants to leave an incoming government in financial turmoil, so that he can blame tax rises on the Tories.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberTory View Post
            Speed cameras actually cause accidents by causing drivers to suddenly brake.
            Er no - that's crap driving.

I find even myself breaking[sic] on sight of a speed camera even though I am within the speed limit. It is just a natural reaction but it is dangerous.
            No it's your natural reaction, like some old people who slam on the brakes when they see a car coming the other way at night. You need to learn to drive properly - and to spell braking. Thankfully not everyone in this country is such a shockingly poor and inattentive driver that they slam on the brakes when they see a speed camera. Many of us even use technology to help us!

They should be removed and other measures used, such as giving points for accidents and banning people for a period of time that have more than two accidents in a year that were their fault. That would certainly concentrate their minds on more careful driving.
            That is possible already, but how would you define fault? - how about people who argue the accident was "caused" by a speed camera!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              I'd be genuinely interested in details of some of these. How do you "stealthily" put down the speed limit? Last time I looked, they all appeared on a big go-away sign.

Comment

Working...
              X