• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You think you know your neighbours.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
    If its "I need the space", then swap for an even bigger house than you think you need at the moment.
    Easy as that

Not a chance if you have a house in a very desirable area where there are no other houses for sale, or they're out of your price range. I'm going to do a loft conversion in a few years because "I need the space", the loft is huge, I don't want to move and can't afford anything bigger where I live.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      Que - of course it's a valid objection, normally stated on most councils websites as a valid objection, and no need for any mention of it on the deeds. I'm objecting to a development for precisely that reason, so just been through this from the neighbours point of view ...
      It's a bit of a grey area. You are quite right that it is listed as a valid planning ground by most planning authorities, however loss of light is not of itself necessarily a valid objection on planning grounds. However generally where loss of light is involved there are also issues of excessive overshadowing and/or loss of privacy which will certainly strengthen the objection.

The whole area of "right to light" is a bit problematic because they are private property rights and do not necessarily form part of the planning process. However there has been recent comment in a civil dispute which does possibly strengthen the rights of the existing property owners.

http://planningmatter.blogspot.com/2...-of-light.html

Comment

Working...
      X