• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "You think you know your neighbours."

Collapse

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Que - of course it's a valid objection, normally stated on most councils websites as a valid objection, and no need for any mention of it on the deeds. I'm objecting to a development for precisely that reason, so just been through this from the neighbours point of view ...
    It's a bit of a grey area. You are quite right that it is listed as a valid planning ground by most planning authorities, however loss of light is not of itself necessarily a valid objection on planning grounds. However generally where loss of light is involved there are also issues of excessive overshadowing and/or loss of privacy which will certainly strengthen the objection.

The whole area of "right to light" is a bit problematic because they are private property rights and do not necessarily form part of the planning process. However there has been recent comment in a civil dispute which does possibly strengthen the rights of the existing property owners.

http://planningmatter.blogspot.com/2...-of-light.html

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
    If its "I need the space", then swap for an even bigger house than you think you need at the moment.
    Easy as that

Not a chance if you have a house in a very desirable area where there are no other houses for sale, or they're out of your price range. I'm going to do a loft conversion in a few years because "I need the space", the loft is huge, I don't want to move and can't afford anything bigger where I live.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Not valid objection unless there is something in the deeds of your property saying you can't block the neighbour's light.
    Que - of course it's a valid objection, normally stated on most councils websites as a valid objection, and no need for any mention of it on the deeds. I'm objecting to a development for precisely that reason, so just been through this from the neighbours point of view ...

Leave a comment:

• Ivor Bigun
    replied
    Originally posted by wc2 View Post
    I’ve just put planning permission in for a single story 7.5m x 4m extension to side of my house on the driveway.

2 of my neighbours have telephoned/called round to tell me they will be objecting.

Where has Wimslow gone? – I need advise on neighbour hatred.
    IMO, get planning consent and sell.
    One of the biggest scams of recent times has been getting people to want to extend their houses. Its a really dumb idea.
    Think carefully about why you want to do it. A lot of people think "I can do that and I want to try it" - that is the worst reason.
    If its "I need the space", then swap for an even bigger house than you think you need at the moment.

I suspect you'll ignore this advice, so here's the prediction that will ring in your ears in a few years time.

You'll do it and...
    - It will cost far more than you think.
    - The cost will be far more than the increase in house value
    - You mrs will be p*ssed off at the hassle and time.
    - After its finished, you'll want more room
    - You'll have less parking.
    - The neighbours will be annoyed with you
    - You still won't be happy, in a few years, you'll move and realise a loss of about £40K.

Ah well, you have been warned.

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    I thought that you don`t need planning for extensions, wasn`t this announced yesterday?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I’ve just put planning permission in for a single story 7.5m x 4m extension to side of my house on the driveway.

2 of my neighbours have telephoned/called round to tell me they will be objecting.

1st Neighbour – Next Door

Objection - It will bloke my light - (The side of her house has no windows)
    Not valid objection unless there is something in the deeds of your property saying you can't block the neighbour's light.

2nd Neighbour – Across the road

Objection 1 - Parking will be an issue - I currently have spaces for 4/5 cars of which the extension will take up 2 spaces – (She have a drive way which will hold about 5 -10 cars)
    Not valid. You are extending one dwelling not dividing it into two

Objection 2 - Building works will be an issue – The guy who removed a skip from our driveway allegedly damaged her wall when reversing out a few years back.
    Not valid however the neighbour can make yours and your builder's life hell when the work is going on by complaining to either of you, and ringing up the council and police and complaining to them. This will hold work up costing you more money.

If planning is denied for these objections I will of course appeal. The thing that gets me is I’ve helped both neighbours no end in the last 8 years (Think this will have to stop)
    The only issue is if the driveway is shared or you stupidly let the neighbour use your driveway for years so they think they now have a right to use it, but from the sounds of it it's not.

The neighbours are just jealous.

Leave a comment:

• bodnobal
    replied
    Do you have a reference number for your planning application and the council dealing with it. All councils have online sites so that members of the public can view each application.

Not that I'm interested in the slightest.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

1st Neighbour – Next Door

Objection - It will bloke my light - (The side of her house has no windows)

2nd Neighbour – Across the road

Objection 1 - Parking will be an issue - I currently have spaces for 4/5 cars of which the extension will take up 2 spaces – (She have a drive way which will hold about 5 -10 cars)

Objection 2 - Building works will be an issue – The guy who removed a skip from our driveway allegedly damaged her wall when reversing out a few years back.

If planning is denied for these objections I will of course appeal. The thing that gets me is I’ve helped both neighbours no end in the last 8 years (Think this will have to stop)

Where has Wimslow gone? – I need advise on neighbour hatred.
    Is it planning permission or permitted development?

Are there similar extensions already nearby?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I knew a bloke who had his planning permission rejected due to objections from neighbours even though there were no grounds so he built it on small stilts so it wasn't actually on the ground. Got away with that and eventually the council had to cave in so he just removed the stilts

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    In hindsight I should have gone round.
    Indeed.

Whilst a neighbour's house technically ends at the limit of their boundary, it extends far beyond that aesthetically and socially.

Since the latter 2 concepts can and do affect quality of life, it would seem sensible to consult with your neighbours for permission to build in such situations.

I suspect your inadvertent lack of courtesy, in their eyes, has put their noses out of joint.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    My daughter had a 2 story extension built, over the objections of the neighbours. They have just bought the semi attached to them as well, and are doing the same on there, and then knocking the two houses into one

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    A mate of mine (and his family) were seconded to the USA for a few years. They rented out their house here and then returned.

When they got back the neighbour had built the biggest ******* extension known to man. So big it actually hides their house next door from any daylight.

Of course, they weren't there to object when the fooker built it.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    I think there are some quite simple rules about what constitues blocking out other people's light. If you've had a half decent architect they should have taken those into consideration when doing the design.

Building work issues? Tough 5hit neighbour. Unless you are blocking off access it's not a planning decision.

The car parking issue sounds lame as well.

I'd say you haven't got much to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• wc2
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Not for me to say, but if I was planning something, I'd go round first - I wouldn't want the first clue they had about it to come via a letter from the Council - if one of my neighbours did that to me I'd regard it as bad manners.

Aren't there some new rules afoot for extensions (there was something in today's Torygraph).

From the sounds of it they don't have much real cause to object. An architect or planning consultant (or possibly a palnning officer at the council if they are friendly enough) could tell you what the valid causes are - I know objecting to the building works themselves isn't one for domestic extensions.
    In hindsight I should have gone round.

The guy who drew the plans used to work for the planning department of the council I am seeking permission.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    If things aren't resolved promptly with the extension, I'd submit an application for a bungalow or something major in your back garden that will really have their hair standing on end.

Then if/when that is refused try re-submitting the application for the extension and make it known to the neighbours that this would rule out the bungalow which you had been seriously considering and might re-submit if the application for the extension is rejected.

(I think the Government have legislated to make it easier to force through planning applications to build on gardens.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X