• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You think you know your neighbours.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Just tell them that if planning is refused, you intend to buy a bigger house and rent that one out to problem families
    That's what I did.

Then sold it on for a very fat profit several years later.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      Just tell them that if planning is refused, you intend to buy a bigger house and rent that one out to problem families
      Just what I was thinking.

We need the space for Mrs WC2's snakes as they have taken over the house. - They other option to the extension is to move.

Dim - oops these plans do exactly that
      Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

If you can answer/refute their objections, the council will usually grant you the permission. Be reasonable/polite at all times with the council flunkeys and (pretend to/) look at compromises. The neighbours will eventually piss them off if they continue to object.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Thanks SAS

I'll do just that

Comment

Originally posted by wc2 View Post
            Am I missing something?
            yes - an "e" in "story". We were all completely baffled
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              WHS.

Plus cross some palms with silver.

It works wonders around here...
              It's more like copper around here - or even better lead off the local church roof

Comment

Originally posted by wc2 View Post
                The neighbours came to / telephoned me. with their objections. Should I have gone to them first?

The council came round yesterday to take photographs of the driveway etc
                Not for me to say, but if I was planning something, I'd go round first - I wouldn't want the first clue they had about it to come via a letter from the Council - if one of my neighbours did that to me I'd regard it as bad manners.

Aren't there some new rules afoot for extensions (there was something in today's Torygraph).

From the sounds of it they don't have much real cause to object. An architect or planning consultant (or possibly a palnning officer at the council if they are friendly enough) could tell you what the valid causes are - I know objecting to the building works themselves isn't one for domestic extensions.

Comment

If things aren't resolved promptly with the extension, I'd submit an application for a bungalow or something major in your back garden that will really have their hair standing on end.

Then if/when that is refused try re-submitting the application for the extension and make it known to the neighbours that this would rule out the bungalow which you had been seriously considering and might re-submit if the application for the extension is rejected.

(I think the Government have legislated to make it easier to force through planning applications to build on gardens.)
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Not for me to say, but if I was planning something, I'd go round first - I wouldn't want the first clue they had about it to come via a letter from the Council - if one of my neighbours did that to me I'd regard it as bad manners.

Aren't there some new rules afoot for extensions (there was something in today's Torygraph).

From the sounds of it they don't have much real cause to object. An architect or planning consultant (or possibly a palnning officer at the council if they are friendly enough) could tell you what the valid causes are - I know objecting to the building works themselves isn't one for domestic extensions.
                    In hindsight I should have gone round.

The guy who drew the plans used to work for the planning department of the council I am seeking permission.

Comment

I think there are some quite simple rules about what constitues blocking out other people's light. If you've had a half decent architect they should have taken those into consideration when doing the design.

Building work issues? Tough 5hit neighbour. Unless you are blocking off access it's not a planning decision.

The car parking issue sounds lame as well.

I'd say you haven't got much to worry about.
                      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
                      X