• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

half way thru year-do I pay myself any salary?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

half way thru year-do I pay myself any salary?

Hi, I've recently started contracting, and having started halfway through the financial year I am already way over the threshold for tax & NI from my previuos perm job, so If i pay myself any salary it will be subject to tax and NI. My initial thoughts are that I'm better paying myself purely dividends for the rest of the financial year..
    Can anyone see any flaws in my plan??
    Thank you...
    newsnewbie

most of us pay ourselves through the divs to avoid PAYE

Comment

Assuming,

you're the director of your limited and
      you've got the pre-requisite 6 months of buffer money in your personal account

don't take salary or divi's and build up some revenue in you Ltd.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Assuming,

equity
        "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post

equity

Indeed - I claim mental distress (working on a revenue report and it's my first day working in 7 weeks) and humbly request the boards indulgence...
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Yes, I am director.
            I've already earned more than £10k via PAYE from a perm position so i'm guessing paying myself a salary will just mean having to fork out for taxes and NI. From my research I've concluded that the only exception is if I want to pay into my pension, in which case I can just pay a bonus at the end of the financial year.
            I will of course be putting aside an amount for tax etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Assuming,

Absolutely. Leave the funds in your company and try to keep out of the 40% tax bracket, unless of course you are desperate for those funds. If you need those funds then look at expenditure because you are probably overspending.

Comment

NI is either on a periodic (for employees) or engagement (for directors) basis. So there will be no carry over from your previous employment.

You'll also have already paid income tax based on the expectation that you will carry on earning at the same rate for the whole year. So unless you've already earned £40K or so, then you'll actually be owed some tax come April time.

Comment

ok, so I may be owed some tax, so I have to work out which is more profitable:

1) not taking any more salary for the year and possibly getting a tax rebate, or

2) taking a minimal salary, ~£500pm, which will then save me corporation tax at ~20% on that amount..

think I'd better get my calculator out.. would anyone be able to throw down some numbers? say for example, that i've had 10k thru PAYE far this financial year and I could potentially pay myself salary for the next 4 months??

Comment

Working...
                  X