• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speed-trap police are told to look before they pounce

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"It is -- you are supposed to tell the truth to your agent and this will be used in court against you."

But your agent has a right of silence in court. Thus the signed NIP is back to hearsay status. There is of course plenty of other evidence!

I highlighted the scots case because it was one where Sectrion 172 was found to have breached ECHR. I don't think it is directly quotable in an English Court but is indicative of a possible issue since ECHR take precedence.

The PACE thing is interesting, however I smell an amendment on the way.

At the end of the day though, obey the law and there isn't a problem. [Of course that also applies to the cameras who at long distance are not obeying the law]

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
      But your agent has a right of silence in court. Thus the signed NIP is back to hearsay status. There is of course plenty of other evidence!
      Oh you have right to silence in court too - problem is that in this sort of cases magistrates legally can infer badly about reasons for your silence, ie it will worsen your case. Can't mind legal practice but it went up to the High Court so its hard to shoot in this direction.

Originally posted by ASB
      I highlighted the scots case because it was one where Sectrion 172 was found to have breached ECHR. I don't think it is directly quotable in an English Court but is indicative of a possible issue since ECHR take precedence.
      I whole agree with you -- problem is that it takes time for ECHR to rule, and even though there were decisions in the past in this area, the UK courts, especially magistrates, could not give a crap about it -- they just rule their way knowing nobody will appeal that high anyway, and if they would then it will take years. The system is rather wrong at this level.

Originally posted by ASB
      At the end of the day though, obey the law and there isn't a problem. [Of course that also applies to the cameras who at long distance are not obeying the law]
      Yeah, but some cameras ain't working well -- laser thingy used by mobile vans is particular suspect, it is even banned in some of US states. And worst of all -- magistrates believe technology 100%, so anybody turning up in court is pretty much toast, unless prosecution makes mistake. Is it seriously one sided there

Comment

DEcisions in other Courts

Just following up on the issue of whether a Scottish case can be used in an English Court - IIRC you can put RELEVANT (and Judges are rather snotty about that sort of thing) precedent from any higher Commonwealth Court before a Court in a case in this country, though it's not binding. The UK Court should, however, give a reason for disregarding the overseas ruling - just as it has to when disregarding a previous ruling in an English Court

Mind you - IANAL
        Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Problem is that in this case Scottish legislation under which people get charged with speeding is not identical to that used in England and Wales, and therefore certain High Court precedents are simply not applicable in Scotland.

Would not want to find myself in Scottish court -- I probably would not understand the Judge and others and will have to ask for interpreter!

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
            There is also a question over whether or not it breaces article 6(1) of the ECHR. This provides the right to slience as a suspect. This right is denied by forcing completion of the certificate.
            Hmm, that's interesting - In the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act of 1994 the Tories, to their shame, abolished the right to silence, i.e. this act included a section specifying that an adverse inference could be drawn from silence, and the wording of cautions during arrests was changed accordingly:

"You do not have to say anything, but [it may harm your defence if you fail to mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court]. Anything you do say will be given in evidence."

So if this was negated by the ECHR, I wonder why the [bracketed] part of the caution warning about silence is still included.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Hitler ordered the invasion of Poland on September 1, 1939. He issued a form of statement of intent rather than a declaration of war.

In fact this is not entirely accurate as the invasion of Poland was conducted not just by Nazi Germany but also the Soviet Union who divided the country between them.

One of the tragic aspects of Polish history was the cowardly abandonment of Poland by Churchill and Roosevelt to the Soviets following the end of the WW2 ,

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
                Hmm, that's interesting - In the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act of 1994 the Tories, to their shame, abolished the right to silence, i.e. this act included a section specifying that an adverse inference could be drawn from silence, and the wording of cautions during arrests was changed accordingly:
                If true, then this is rather crap and low-life thing to do worthy of New Labour -- I don't think it matters much in serious criminal cases where guilt must be proven beyond reasonable doubt (and silence can't be part of that proof), but in small fish cases like speeding where proof is based on balance of probabilities it is easy for magistrates to do you based on their legal right to infer

They can't do you solely based on your silence though, and the caution must still be served -- if it was not then whatever your say can't be used in court, which is why PACE defence was invented.
                Last edited by AtW; 29 August 2005, 11:48.

Comment

6(1) Echr

What this actually gives is the right to a fair trial. It has been held that the declaration under the Road Traffic Act which is legally required is prejudicial to this.

It also rather stuffs up the serious fraud office. Here interviews at the DTI force you to answer questions (quite what sanction there is for just answering them all "I am a dalek" I don't know). However the answers given to these can be used in a subsequent criminal trial. Whether or not this breaches the ECHR is possibly questionable, however ti has certainly caused a lot of problems for the SFO in trying to do anybody (rightly so in my opinion).

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
                    however ti has certainly caused a lot of problems for the SFO in trying to do anybody (rightly so in my opinion).
                    If its serious fraud then there should be paper trail -- someone gained bad money somewhere and in huge quantity, so you might not do them for fraud, but can do for tax evasion -- Al Capone is a good precedent.

Another example is UK law that will send to prison anybody who refuses to provide decryption keys to the police -- I have not heard much about this actually happening (people can be pursvuaded to talk by other means) but the law stands.

I don't like fraudsters but I don't like idea of self-incrimination even more. A bit of a shame that this country has not got written constritution like they have int he USA.

Comment

Working...
                    X