• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Liverpool/Manchester

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by someone has my name View Post
    Kinda thinking about moving to the north west from the South west,
    just wondering, whats the market like up there for .net?
    Gosh! An Arab buys Man City and now....everyone want to move up here.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by someone has my name View Post
      Kinda thinking about moving to the north west from the South west,
      just wondering, whats the market like up there for .net?
      Don't know about .net but there are quite a few banks/credit card companies around cheshire and manchester. I would avoid Liverpool, although it's on the up it's 10 years behind Manchester.

Having lived in the south east for several years, I have to say the quality of life is much better in the North West. More countryside, nicer people (better mannered at least), less traffic jams (although the M6 is a chunte). Apart from a few nice areas of London I'd much rather live outside the south east, you've seen one dismal/ souless/ concrete commuter town and you've seen them all. You really need to look at cheshire. For 650k to 1 mil you can get a massive pad with land, crime is much lower than the national average and the schools can compete with anything the home counties have to offer. You are never more than 20 mins drive from outstanding countryside

That's not only my opinion though...

Recently described by the Financial Times as a genuine rival to 'overheated London' the North West is one of the most vibrant and dynamic parts of the UK.

Since the days of the Happy Mondays and the Hacienda, Manchester has always had a reputation as the cool northern city but Liverpool is fast catching up. Gearing up to be in the international spotlight in 2008 when it becomes the European Capital Culture, Liverpool is working hard to shake off its industrial image to become the new fashionable place to be.

But the North West is more than just Manchester and Liverpool. Stretching from Carlisle in the north to Stafford in the south, you'll find a wide variety of things to see, do and experience. Whether it's shopping, eating out, cultural pursuits or bar hopping that float your boat, it's all here. Award-winning museums, galleries and theatres complement eye-catching architecture, innovative cultural events, and a great nightlife.

Or if you prefer to get back to nature, the North West offers some of the best recreational facilities in Britain. From the Lake District, Snowdonia and the Pennines to the pretty Cheshire countryside you can walk, hike, run, climb, cycle on and off road, windsurf, picnic, paraglide, the list is endless. And the scenery is stunning, whatever you choose to do.

Let's not forget one of the North West's biggest exports Manchester United. With the reds (United) and the blues (Manchester City), Liverpool and Everton all fighting for top spot in the Premiership, it's a football fans paradise. For those less partial to the beautiful game, there's Aintree and the Grand National or, if you prefer to take part, there's a host of brand new sporting facilities, a legacy from the successful Commonwealth Games.

And for kids there is as much to see and do as there is for adults, with The Blue Planet Aquarium, Jodrell Bank, Chester Zoo, Knowsley Safari Park and Blackpool Pleasure Beach all in the region. Most restaurants, museums and sporting facilities also cater for children, making sure the region is a great place for all ages.

Getting here is easy thanks to excellent transport links. Of course, we have a few traffic jams too, but the road network is generally very good. If you want to fly there's the choice of Liverpool and Manchester airports, or if you prefer to stay on the ground, you can get here and away, on the new high-speed tilting train service - London to Manchester in a little over 2 hours.

Combine all this with an excellent variety of places to live, a good choice of schools and universities and the North West is the ideal place to work, rest and play.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post

And for kids there is as much to see and do as there is for adults, with The Blue Planet Aquarium, Jodrell Bank, Chester Zoo, Knowsley Safari Park and Blackpool Pleasure Beach all in the region. Most restaurants, museums and sporting facilities also cater for children, making sure the region is a great place for all ages.

I thought Blackpool wasn't a beach cos the water is so foul.

Anyway if you go there don't let the sea splash on you cos it's sewage.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          I thought Blackpool wasn't a beach cos the water is so foul.

Anyway if you go there don't let the sea splash on you cos it's sewage.

Bit of a misnoma that, the pleasure beach is a theme park. I hardly ever go to Blackpool (apart from a Rock club there, which is very good), but are there any seaside resorts in the UK where you are not swimming in effluence?
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Combine all this with an excellent variety of places to live, a good choice of schools and universities and the North West is the ideal place to work, rest and play.
            Oi! Don't go telling everyone.

You'll all hate it round here honest.................
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Manchester less crime than London????

Hmmmm I doubt that....

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/poli...anchester.html

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/poli.../l/London.html

In rural areas crime is obviously less (but not much difference with the south really).

What else do you get? Less night life, more or less same house prices, lower salaries, a few degrees temperature less, more rain per year...... ?
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Has to be Manchester. Home to the richest football club on the planet (and there's another one that's fairly rich as well based in a town just outside the city).

You'll have to develop an interest in whippets and pigeons though.

Oh and it rains for 360 days a year.
                Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

more or less same house prices
                  Err, no. Not unless you want to live in Prestbury.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Liverpool is working hard to shake off its industrial image

They could go further ... The "images" of industry have been "shaken off" completely by Liverpool.

Knowsley Safari Park

The world's first reverse safari.

tilting train service

when the locals can be persuaded not to nick the wheels, you find that trains manage to balance quite nicely without tipping or tilting one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
                      Manchester less crime than London????

Hmmmm I doubt that....

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/poli...anchester.html

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/poli.../l/London.html

In rural areas crime is obviously less (but not much difference with the south really).

What else do you get? Less night life, more or less same house prices, lower salaries, a few degrees temperature less, more rain per year...... ?
                      I'm talking about cheshire, not manchester, cheshire crime is lower than most of the south east. Obviously London has more crime than anywhere, but I wasn't talking about London

Comment

Working...
                      X