• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 and agency contract negotiations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 and agency contract negotiations

A little Friday morning topic to discuss while you drink your coffee and scrabble around for project codes to put down on your timesheets. Who, and how, have been successful in negotiating contract amendments with their agent.

Me. By asking.

Simple as that really. If you ask, you might not get, but if you don't ask you definitely don't get. Presumably it helps to be useful to the agent as well, but that is usually the case if you're on a gig.
    Last edited by Lucifer Box; 26 August 2005, 07:19.

Comment

Originally posted by FGB
      A little Friday morning topic to discuss while you drink your coffee and scrabble around for project codes to put down on your timesheets. Who, and how, have been successful in negotiating contract amendments with their agent.
      Me, I use the following technique...

"If you think I'm signing that tulipe, you've got another thing coming!"

BTW, what's a timesheet?

Comment

IR35 Changes

I've been successfull. Had some crap line like "you will be under direct control from project manager" (convert to more precise legal speak).

I presented an alternative from another contract, something like "you will provide services to complete the project requirements" (again, convert to more legalified mumble jumble).

Not a problem. Agent and client agreed to it, job done, stick that up your nostrils and light it Gord.

Is legalified a word? Ahh, who cares.

Comment

I have

I had the contract assessed, put a copy of the legal analysis in front of the agent, had a number of chats with their FD explained it would save them a raise at renewal (which I wasn't going to get anyway, no-one else had) and the contract was adjusted to reflect the reality of the situation. It took a couple of months however.

Other contracts have been direct so I use my own T&C's.

no legalfied is not a real word - Vetran in Fleety mode.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Never been able to do it with big agencies such as Futures, Best etc Always come back with some nosense about "We've spoken to the legal team and they say blah blah blah..."

However, smaller agencies seem happy about it especially the IR35 pointers.

Direct and fixed price now so no longer a concern.
            Last edited by Homer Simpson; 26 August 2005, 08:34.
            I'll make the money by selling one of my livers. I can get by with one.

Comment

Me too, lots of times.

Infact, if they refuse to change the contract I don't want to deal with them.

I had one agency really pleased that with mine and the (dare I mention them) PCG's help they got their contract much more IR35 friendly.

Main items are, control, substitution and having the contract fixed price with a list of defined project deliverables. Price is estimated by taking rate x initial duration, and paid for by invoicing at regular intervals detailing what has been achieved in that timeframe.

PS. I WILL NOT deal with the Mac Donalds of the IT agency world such as Comp Futures and the like. They are IR35 fodder machines for the uneducated contractor masses.

Comment

B&C

Originally posted by FGB
                I use Bauer and Cottrell and get them to negotiate the required changes.

Comment

B&C

Normie, what cost are involved doing this?

Comment

Working...
                  X